Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First turbo butt

Options
AZRP
AZRP Posts: 10,116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put four 8+ lb butts on yesterday afternoon, all seemed to be about the same size. I had probes in three of them and after a couple hours, two of them were around 140 and one was 160. When I checked this morning the turbo butt was 200 while the others were 180. The turbo finished a full 2.5 hours faster than the others, which all finished at the same time. -RP

Comments

• Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    I recently did a 7 pound brisket flat. It reached 200 internal in 5 hours, cooking at 250 dome, and never hit a plateau. All thermometers used, including the one in the dome was calibrated before the cook. It was very tender and juicy. I guess it was from a special cow.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Randy, sounds like you may have gotten into one of those "enhanced" pieces of meat our government allows and the meat packers think we need. Best to the Filly
  • AzScott
    AzScott Posts: 309
    Options
    Turbo butt's are annoying. I had a butt on last Saturday which I started at 7pm. I'm thinking it would be done around around 7-10am the next morning. Nope. BBQ Guru started going off at 4 in the morning so I got up looked at it and said "No way, maybe the probe is hitting a bone or something and went back to bed. I pulled the butt at 7:30 when I got up and it was mushy butt.

What are you doing with the 4 butt's Randy?
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    One of my daughters had a BBQ baby shower in your city today, I catered. -RP