Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Ribs

Timahh
Timahh Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok.....The wife went to the store and picked up something for dinner. She had the right idea in picking up a couple racks of ribs. Only problem is that I'm partial to pork instead of beef ribs, which is what she got. I'm gonna give it a go anyway, since I've yet to try and do either on the egg yet. Anyone have any advice/rubs/recipes for me? Thanks in advance. [p]P.S. Props to Hearth and Patio here in Peoria for bringing an egg-fest to town.

Comments

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Timahh,
    Use a rub that is suitable for your beef preferences. The one thing to keep in mind is that beef ribs take longer then pork ribs to get same texture. I usually do pork spares 4 hrs at 250*. Beef would be at least 6 hrs at same temp.
    ST
    [/b]
  • Timahh
    Timahh Posts: 7
    Smokin' Todd, Thanks for the info. Do you use any kind of thermometer for the meat, or do you just rely on you expertise. Not exactly sure if I could use my Polder on the ribs anyway. Thanks.

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Smokin' Todd,
    I agree; if you can use a thermometer to keep track of the rib cooking, do that so the final temp is 195-200.

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Timahh,
    I rely simply on two things. One is around that time frame I see the bones on the ends charred at the same time the meat there is starting to "melt" away from the tips of the bones there. Plus you can use a fork and give it a little twist to make sure they are tender. If not to your tenderness check every half hr.
    I certainly wouldnt say I have "expertise" in this...maybe in about 10-15 yrs I will :)[p]ST
    [/b]