Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

What to use in place of corn meal

Sun Devil BrettSun Devil Brett Posts: 440
edited 5:39AM in EggHead Forum
I picked up corn starch by mistake, anything I can use to get close to corn meal that may be in the pantry? Thanks

Comments

• mkcmkc Posts: 540
    What are you using the corn meal for?

If for underneath pizza or bread, I use semolina (it doesn't burn like cornmeal does).
    Egging in Denton, Texas
  • I was going to use it with some flour, spices for chicken.
  • Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    If you are breading something use regular flour.

If it's for something else not sure what to tell you since I don't know what you have in your house.
  • FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,675
    I've crushed up plain crackers and mixed with spices to bread chicken and fish. Wassabi crackers are good on salmon.
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 8,244
    If you have any tortilla chips around run then thru a food processor and make small pieces.
  • mkcmkc Posts: 540
    If you're going for crispy, like an oven fry, we use pulverized corn flakes (cereal).

I like the idea Richard posted of grinding up tortilla chips - just watch the rest of the seasoning, you probably won't need to add any more salt.
    Egging in Denton, Texas
  • SlickSlick Posts: 382
    Most of the breadings I make are equal parts of bread crumbs and flour, with a healthy dose of salt and pepper. If wifey is not watching too close, I may slip a little cayenne in, also. A little egg wash to hold it on, and it comes out great on just about everything.

Slick