Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burger report

Options
TRex
TRex Posts: 2,714
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, so I have to admit that I've had a bit of a history of having trouble doing burgers. I know, I know--they're simple, so what's the deal? Well, for a while I cooked them at around 300 F with smoke until done. Problem was that it took about half an hour (oh, did I also mention that I was also making them about 2" thick), so by the end they wouldn't be as juicy as I would like. So, then I decided to do them thinner (about 1") and hot and fast, like many on this forum do. The first time I tried that they broke apart like crazy and I might as well have made tacos with the results.[p]SO, last night I tried a trick that I learned in Food & Wine's latest "Grilling Issue," which I'm sure most of you already know. After making up the burgers (I used ground chuck (19% fat) and made them about 1" thick), I placed them in the fridge for about 15 minutes prior to going to the Egg. After 15 mins, I had the Egg at about 450, put the burgers on (they held together very nicely), cooked for 6 mins one side, flipped (again, held together just fine) and finished off with another 6 mins. [p]I used Dizzy Pig's Cow Lick Rub on the burgers. They turned out beautifully. Juicy and delicious. My wife said they were the best burgers I had cooked yet (maybe b/c they were still in one piece).[p]If you haven't tried it (was I the last one?), stick your burgers in the fridge before grilling and they really stay together well. Oh, and you must try Cow Lick on burgers if you haven't already--it was perfect for them.[p]TRex

Comments

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    TRex,
    I have 4 lbs 80% ground beef in the fridge defrosting right now for Sunday fire up on my mini. ( i was going to make burger mix, pat the ones I am going to make, and pat the rest and put them in the freezer for future cooks, but I stupidly put the whole 4 lbs in the freezer and have to make meatloaf with the rest because I cant re-freeze beef so Im told)
    I have had "breakage" problem also in the past, and I found that adding egg to the burger assists in keeping them tegether.
    This sunday's burgers will feature Ken Stones Guided Splinters rub.
    ST
    [/b]
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Smokin' Todd,
    I never use frozen hamburger for hamburgers. Always fresh for burgers. It just does a better job. The frozen meat is used in other dishes. I also use a hamburger press and make them about 1" thick. Anything thicker than that tends to take away from the taste of the other hamburger incredients. Anyone wanting a really thick burger can stack two patties on their bun.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• dan c
    dan c Posts: 31
    Options
    TRex,
    Any ground meat works well, as long as it's fresh not frozen (frozen is ok but takes more time/effort to get a good pattie). You have to make a ball and work it around until the stuff is kinda 'smooth'. Then smash it around with the heels of your hands and using your fingers to form the pattie taking care not to have any folds at the edges. If you get folds (gaps?), either the stuff is too cold or too warm. That's the secret, no gaps, folds and a good, round uniform edge. I use 1/2# per burger, work until it's about 1/2 to 3/4" thick (about 7-9" diameter, they shrink some but remain nice and round), no dimple in the middle. I usually cook at about 400*, 6 minutes a side. Second turn put the cheese on and leave for about 1 minute. Easy Life rub gets my nod of the week, though Red Rooster is damn good, too.
    dan

• willmw
    willmw Posts: 41
    Options
    TRex,[p]Have you tried Bubba Burgers? I don't know if these are available everywhere, but they are frozen burgers (not your average pre-made frozen) that are intended to go straight from freezer to grill (or only for those who have temporarily run out of charcoal...the frying pan). These are some of the best burgers I've ever eaten. I tried some on my new egg this week and the results were spectacular. Excellent smoked flavor and so juicy you almost had to wear a bib. Cooked them kind of like steaks, seared at high temp for a few minutes a side and then reduced the heat back and cooked for about 10 minutes.