Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Snapped a hinge bolt

Options
WokOnMedium
WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was tightening all my bolts (3rd time since I put it together). One of the four bolts that attaches the hinges to the band on the right side snapped off. There is another one right next to it, do you think I'll be OK to cook until I get another one?

I assume I have to take the whole band off to replace it, but that will just give me a chance to put the handle on right side up!

How do I get a replacement bolt? Thank you!

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    If you're lucky,your dealer will have some spares around.I tried to find some at Ace with no luck :( I don't think that I'd risk using it though.You really don't want to have to replace the dome :pinch: Now remember next time that they're only 1/4" bolts :silly: BTW,you can remove the handle without removing the band :blink:
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,915
    Options
    any good, well stocked hardware store will carry them - just make sure they are stainless steel to prevent rust - more expensive but worth it.
  • WokOnMedium
    Options
    I'm a girl...we don't snap bolts...1/4" or otherwise.
  • RRP
    Options
    furthermore while still at the store buy an extra set of stainless steel nuts too. Then after tightening to achieve the desired slight bend in the bolt run the second nut up behind to secure it and prevent the nut from loosening. In all honesty that's called "double nutting" and is an old time mechanics' trick.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Hey Ron,that's a great tip and all,but if I read it right,she broke the bolts that connect the hinge to the band.I couldn't find those at any "well stocked" hardware store :) I had to go to the dealer.
  • RRP
    Options
    you're right - I missed it - wrong bolt! Just the same she should be able to find those stud bolts as I believe they are called at a good hardware store or in her case in Sioux City, Iowa Fastenal has a store that are sure to carry them if her dealer doesn't:

Fastenal Store Code: IASIU
    Sioux City, IA 51106 1901 Leech Ave
    Sioux City, IA 51106
    P: (712)252-0800
    F: (712)252-0820
  • WokOnMedium
    Options
    THANK YOU BOTH SO VERY MUCH!!!!