Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQ Problem - What went wrong here??

Options
TxAggie
TxAggie Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put on a 13 lb brisket at around 7:30 using my new Digiq ii. I put the pit temp probe (it is too tight to go all the way through) in the main thermostat probe hole about 3/4 way in. I set the temp to 250 and shut the lid. I go and check it at 11:30 and notice the fan is running with pit temp at 215. Curious I open the lid and think to myself wow there is no way this is 215 degrees. I then pulled the thermostat and put in the original one and sure enough...350!! :angry::angry::angry:

Why the h3ll did this happen? Was the pit probe in the wrong spot? Did it not go in far enough? If not then how do i get it to fit all the way through the hole?

I check the meat temp and in the middle it is 193. I pulled and foiled it. I am putting it in the cooler wrapped in foil like I always do...I am trying to salvage it if possible.

So long story short; I cooked a 13 lb brisket in 4 hours. :unsure:

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    You made the mistake of trying to shove the probe in a hole it wasn't meant to be shoved into.

The pit probe has an alligator clip supplied with it so you can attach it to the grate or to the probe from the standard BGE thermometer.

It is meant to be fed in between the lid and the base.

You might want to try that next time.
  • TxAggie
    Options
    I looked at the video he has on YouTube and he had it through the hole like I did. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmMW61iG58A

I thought attaching it to the grate would throw the readings off.

Man I am mad ... what a waste (so I think until I cut it).
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Trust me. Just clip it to the dome thermometer probe and you will be fine and have a backup.

If you clip it to the grate just set the Guru to 220 degs.

Not trying to dispute Fred, but most times that little hole is too small for the probe.

Please note all three dome thermometers are in place
    digiq_in_action.jpg
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    OK... just looked at the Shotgun Fred video. He must have taken off the alligator clip.

The BBQ Guru folks have have a page called "BBQ Guru University" there you will find some additional options for probe placement. Follow the link and click on "Porbe Placement" and you will be to the section you are wanting. However, the whole page is worth reading.

http://www.thebbqguru.com/bbqGuruU.cfm

GG
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Sorry to hear of your problem. Give it a chance and you'll love your own "Q". Like Wolf said I clip mine to the thermometer inside the Egg dome then set it just like I would the stock thermometer that comes with the Egg. Never had a problem yet. Good luck and please give it another go! ;)
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    I usually put my probe on the grate or on my grill exstender. This is the only pic i have.

IMG_8127-1.jpg
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Aggie,

I understand your frustration about your cook but just trust these guys on where to put the probe. I also have a new Digi2 and have been very very pleased. I run my probe wires the same as Wolf does and it works perfectly. With that thing only 3/4 way thru the hole it wasn't picking up all the heat. One thing that I found out while calibrating mine is that the gator clip is not necessarily giving you your temp. It has a lot to do with where the thermocouple is crimped onto the gator clip. I can put the tip of clip in boiling water and it dont read right. If I drop the whole clip in water almost up to the crimp, it reads fine. I guess what Im saying is the tip of that clip probably aint very accurate if its the only thing in the egg. It's merely there to aide in clipping to hold somewhere. Wolf Im not sure if you agree or not, let me know what you think. Aggie, your gonna love the Guru give it time. I bet that brisket is gonna be tasty too! ;)
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    TxAggie,

I always clip mine to the dome thermo, and haven't had any issues yet. I like to measure temp off it anyway, so there is no dome-to-grate temp conversions required--if you cook at 250° on the dome thermo, you can set the DigiQ to the same thing.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Here is where I CLIP MY PIT PROBE.
    DSC_0003-15.jpg

ROSS
  • TxAggie
    Options
    Thanks guys. I will clip it on the thermometer next time. I was afraid the top wouldn't seal properly so that is why I didn't do it like that.

Funny thing is I sliced it up thin last night around 3 a.m. and it really wasn't too bad. Could have been better but overall still edible. It had a nice smoke ring also so if anything it was pretty. :laugh:
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Good Luck next time!

Ross