Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Cook on LBGE

Options
danny285
danny285 Posts: 360
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got my first BGE a few days ago, should get it completely assb today, need to know what type of cooks i should try the first few times so as not to damage it any way, especially the felt gasket, yes they still are being shipped with felt gaskets. Waiting on help to move the lower section.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Whether or not you have the capability of cooking indirect, you can cook Fish (salmon), shrimp,Scallops, chicken (whole or parts), Steak, Pork, Lamb, at 400 or less, direct and it will all be good!

What would you like to cook?
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Spatchcock Chicken always seems to be popular.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm

This was my very first cook, skin could have been a little crisper. I love the flavor the cook adds to the potatoes. Slice them not all the way through and the whole potato picks up the flavor, not just the skin. You got the fire going anyway....
    biggreenegg003.jpg
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    My first cook was a brisket and a ribs. They turned out ok, my therm was about 40* off so that was a pain in the prostate, but it went well. It took me about 3-5 low and slows to get used to it, now I am pretty good (always room to improve though) with my low and slows.

However, I am still working on my searing and regular grilling cooks. It is so dark here this time of year, my ryobi flashlight works like 3 times before it eats the battery and the jerkasses I bought my house from installed the most stubborn motion sensor light in America. I cannot see at all when it gets dark and most things end up get a bit crispy when I am straight grilling. But I am getting better. I made boneless chicken breasts the other night, 400* about 10min on each side and all but 1 breast was ready to pull, nice char, but not burnt, I was proud of myself.

sorry so long winded
    tim
  • JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    Options
    Hey Danny here is a few suggestions:
    Chicken either sitting or spatchcocked
    6408002.jpg
    062807027.jpg
    062908a006.jpg
    thighs
    120408006.jpg
    120608005.jpg
    flat iron steak
    123108008.jpg
    kabobs
    020809008.jpg
    stuff chicken breast
    012609007.jpg
    ABT's
    021009012.jpg
    021009021.jpg
  • Woody69
    Woody69 Posts: 360
    Options
    Congrats on your egg.
    IMO, if you have an egg with the bad gasket adhesive, no amount of curing, or being careful will help. If it does fail, replace it with a nomex and you will be all set... :)
  • Salguod
    Salguod Posts: 130
    Options
    I'll second that! Just cook at any temperature that you want and enjoy. Based on my experience, if you have one of the bad gaskets there is NOTHING you can do about it. The gasket adhesive is going to fail; and it will fail no matter what you do. Then you can replace the gasket with a nomex gasket and 3M Super 77 and get on with egging! If the gasket doesn't fail, then you can get on with egging!

Either possibility is better than worrying about it for a prolonged and futile break in period. So just do some egging! There is no downside here. B)
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    Options
    Thanks Everyone for all the suggestions. I cooked a couple of Pork steaks just to get the feel, they turned out good, but i had a very strange odor which i think came from the paint on top damper.