Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Felit

Options
luis70458
luis70458 Posts: 48
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got a whole tenderloin and cut me up some nice Filets about 2 1/2" what is the best way to cook them (direct or indirect) what temperature. This is the first stake cook on new EGG (large)

Comments

• Personally, I prefer stEAk to stake, although if it's oak, hickory, or even cherry, adding a stake to the fire can add some good flavoring.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Good way to start out on your egg!

Get the temp up to 500-600* and let it stabilize there for 30-60 minutes. Season your steaks to your liking (might want to order some Dizzy Pig Rubs for future cooks-link below). Sear the steaks for 2 minutes on each side, being careful to "burp" the egg prior to opening the dome at that temp. After the second sear, close all the vents (top and bottom) for the 'dwell'.
    At this point I insert a remote temp probe and remove the steak from the grill when the internal temp reaches 125 (medium rare), cover with foil and let sit for 5-8 minutes before serving.
    If you don't have a good internal temp probe, then you will have to check by firmness or with an instant-read probe until done (a little trial and error here).
    Anyway the principles are: Hot sear, dwell, foil/rest, enjoy, repeat the next day!

Don't be discouraged, as it might take a couple of tries before perfection arrives. :laugh:

www.dizzypigbbq.com