Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Babyback Selection

Options
egger66
egger66 Posts: 385
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all
Any tips on what to look for when buying babybacks? I usually look for a lighter shade of meat as opposed to the darker colored ribs. What else do I need to do to ensure that my cooks are starting off with good ribs?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    Many of the meat sold in supermarkets have been injected. Look for the word solution or other words to clue you in. I have yet to come across this at small butcher shops. Other than the injection adding to the weight, therefore costing us more, I don't know why they do it. Maybe others more knowledgeable than I will chime in.
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    I seem to get the nicest ones at Sam's Club - not injected and at a good price. 3 racks per cryovac pack. Running right around $3 a pound right now.
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • NJ-GrEGG
    NJ-GrEGG Posts: 171
    Options
    I don't compete in cookoffs, but I hear those that do look for racks that weigh under 4 pounds. Just in case you are shooting for championship ribs! ;)
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    What SGP said.

I was having real good results with Swft Premium brand ribs but my local grocer stopped carrying them. I tried two other brands in the store and didn't care for them at all. Went to Sam's a picked up two three packs - they came out mightyfine.

I guess the message is, when you find some you are pleased with the results, stick with em.

Ribs Rock!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,811
    Options
    watch out for local supermarket ribs, sometimes they repackage ribs into new packages with their own label. when they do this they dont have to tell you about the solution added. the local place here sells hormel ribs in the cryo and right next to it "fresh ribs" with the supermarket label, they are just repackaged hormel.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    Babybacks are not spare ribs. Babybacks come from the rib bones next to the pork loin. Spare ribs are from 6 inches down the back.
    Spare ribs come 3lb and under 3-5 lb and 5lb and up. The 3-5 are the best for flavor and leanness. 5lb and up are old sows that are sausage animals. Can be tough and dry.
    E
  • Midnight Smoker
    Options
    As others have said, cryovaced ribs from Sam's are consistently good. In a pinch I'll pick up ribs from the local Publix if I can't get to Sam's, but I always have them go back to the cooler and bring out an unopened cyropac. Otherwise you never know how long they've been unsealed and sitting around or what they may have done to them.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Sams is the best I have locally too.

Gotta really look carefully through the packs though and try to find ones without the double bone on one side. Don't know a better word for it. Cut a little too close to the spare rib portion I suspect.

H
  • egger66
    egger66 Posts: 385
    Options
    Thanks for tips. I'll try the local Sams this weekend.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,911
    Options
    I agree - I've even seen ones from Kroger that have no mention of that crappy solution, but a quick look at the back membrane will show the telltale uniform puncture marks from injecting. One other thing I prefer is to avoid the heavy racks and stay in the 2.75# to 3# range. They seem to be more tender - at least to me.