Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new damper slide vent

Options
RLA
RLA Posts: 89
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is the new stainless steel damper door vent an important upgrade?
My new Egg has the old powder coated vent door, so should I be concerned?
Bob

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    RLA,[p]NOW you're starting to sound like a real egger. Not even having your first cook under your belt (pun intended) and you're already looking to accessorize. PERFECT, you'll fit right in.[p]Mine has the black "powder coated" vent as well, no problem. However, be sure that when you remove the ash from the firebox that you use a small brush to clean the slide groove, otherwise it will fill with ash and may cause trouble.[p]Troy
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    RLA,[p]Its on my short list of stuff I want. I am going to pick one up at EGGFEST2000 this month. I am not near water but Humpty lives outdoors here in Virginia and the sliding back and forth has some rust spots forming in the channel of the vent. No big deal but I may be moving it near the ocean soon and its looks neat as well. [p]Tim
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    sprinter, The brush is fine. I just quick slide the door back and forth several times till it hits the stop. Its kinda self cleaning that way. At least for me! Just flick it back and forth and its clean as a whistle..
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• RLA
    RLA Posts: 89
    Options
    sprinter, Geez, it seems like "we are joined at the belt", no matter where I go...you are sure to find me...lol..
    But you are right...I have not cooked even one meal, and yet I have all of the accessories...you name it..ive got it!! Everything that is, except a way to fasten the dome..
    Bob

• CC
    CC Posts: 8
    Options
    RLA,
    i bought a medium egg with the stainless vent. it never worked well for me, maybe it was just me. when i upgraded to the large i told them that i did not want the stainless vent and i have been most satisfied with the regular black vent.
    life is good with the egg.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    CC, glad to hear that someone else is happy with the "old black door" - never had a problem once I learned to the ash out. But then, I also have to old style hinges on the top and have never had a problem - opening, closing or just leaving in the up position. Life is GOOD!