Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: low signal strength from Linksys

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,911
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My Linksys wireless router is located in my basement as that simply is the best place for me. This desktop is approximately 45 feet horizontally from it on first floor, yet the final 5 feet is actually concrete slab. My signal strength is always very low or even drops the signal from time to time. Can a guy add some sort of external aerial to the router to enhance the signal, or should I just invest in a repeater device to re-broadcast? I'm confident now that my wireless system is secure.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    2.4 or 5Ghz was not meant to traverse 5' of concrete. Extending the antenna or ever using a repeater isn't going to help much.

Why so much concrete and why is the basement the only option?
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Linksys do make better antennas, you could try to reposition the router even rotate it on its side and point the antennas in the direction where the computer is, the antennas seem to be a bit directional vertically than horizonal. They do make extenders, but thats another $80 or more.
  • RRP
    Options
    a little clarification might work - say if you were to visualize:
    desktop
    ______floor______________________===slab==
    basement
    & router

>

the router is up under the floor joists so draw a line from the word router to the word desktop. So it's not really traveling through the slab, but I thought that might be part of the interference.

As for why the basement location - that's the only place where it wouldn't take up space or look out of place in our house. Since I get excellent signal on my laptop located where the word floor is I thought I couple plug in a repeater there.
  • RRP
    Options
    desktop is supposed to be above word slab but won't stay there!
  • RRP
    Options
    I just experimented moving them every which direction and dropped the signal several times and still "very low" is the best I can achieve. The $80 for a repeater doesn't bother me as long as it works. See any problem?
  • Little Steven
    Options
    RRP,

We just replaced the Linksys with Dlink. Works a lot better in a similar situation. Or, really I should say the signal strength is higher.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TheGrillisGone
    Options
    Netgear and others make a ethernet switch that relays thru your electrical power outlets. Really cool.

Simply hard wire one from router to wall outlet and connect anywhere in your house thru another.

Jim
    Snellville, GA
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Ron,

I use an omni-directional paddle antenna on my router that gives a great boost to distance and signal strength.

I don't know if your model router will accept one, but it solved my problems. They only cost about $20.
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Ron, I have my router Linksys WRT54G in the basement and I get a very good signal in my den that is about 35 ft. horizontal and on a slab. I replaced the Linksys firmware with Tomato's firmware (this is not a joke). The Tomato firmware allows you to up the sending signal strength so this may help you. Caution should be used when doing this as you can burn the unit out if you raise it to high. I have been using the same router with the Tomato firmware for the last 2 1/2 years with no problem. The setting that you would look for is in the Wireless\Advanced\Transmit power area. The default setting for Linksys is 42mW and I have been transmitting with 150mW for the last 2 1/2 years. If you have any questions give me a shout. This firmware also gives you many more options then the plain vanilla Linksys firmware. As with any firmware modifications the user must know they can destroy the device if installed wrong.

Tomato Firmware
    http://www.polarcloud.com/firmware

Tomato FAQ's
    http://www.polarcloud.com/tomatofaq

Tomato Wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato_firmware
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.