Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Competion cooking with a Guru or a stoker??

Options
probie
probie Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am courious to witch one is better and easier to use with more than one cooker

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    I use the Guru in competition. I have three of them and they work extremely well and easy to use.

I have a stoker too. It too works well on multiple cookers, but can be difficult to configure if you are technically challenged. Not saying you are, just stating a fact :woohoo:
  • probie
    Options
    I'll just say that it takes me a little longer than most to figure things out. So you are saying that it would be easier to just 2 gurus one for each cooker?
  • batt
    batt Posts: 40
    Options
    I hav had my Stoker for a week, cant comment on the Guru, but I hear its a fine unit. Stoker is much not as user friendly if you want to take full advantage of it features. The minimal about of networking puts some people off. If you can setup a wireless router, or know someone that can assist, it only takes a few minutes. The web interface is very simple and I dare say, easier than using the front panel on the Stoker or the Guru. However if you choose, you can run your Stoker, just like the Guru, without using a computer. If you network the Stoker, you get live monitoring of your cooks by using Stokerlog. Sample below.

untitled-2.jpg
  • probie
    Options
    Great information are you able to change temp. settings from your computer?
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    We are currently developing the next generation of controls in our product line. The all new CyberQ II is on the verge of being released to the market. With the overwelming response of the new digital control, the DigiQ II, we will be discontinuing the analog Pit Minder E temp. The new Digital controls are extremely easy to use and are our most advanced controls to date. Some features of the CyberQ II are:

· Super compact control allows you to control up to two pits simultaneously

· Four thermocouple probes allow you to monitor two pits and two food items

· USB interface allows monitoring and control from your PC or over the Internet

· Digital alphanumeric 8 character x 2 line LCD display with user-selectable backlight time

· Audible alarm sounds on over/under temp, food done, timeout and other user-settable conditions

· Real-time fan status and percent output indication helps you to measure fuel use

· Open Lid Detect

· Adaptive Control Algorithm

· Super User menu for advanced users

· User-settable "low and slow" ramp down feature

· User-settable cook timer gives alarm, shuts down your pit, or will hold the pit at the temperature you specify

This control will be available soon. Please check the website for the announcement. www.thebbqguru.com
  • probie
    Options
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Damn Ross,

It sounds like you are working for the Guru gang in that post.

Probie...both are quality products.

I use a Stoker in competitions, it handles 3-4 Eggs without missing a beat.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    I have two guru digiq's I use. They are waterproof and I like to be able to quickly see the temp on the LED read out. At night the stoker is hard to read and it is not waterproof.
  • batt
    Options
    Buster Dog BBQ wrote:
    I have two guru digiq's I use. They are waterproof and I like to be able to quickly see the temp on the LED read out. At night the stoker is hard to read and it is not waterproof.

My Stoker is in the house. I find the temps easy to read on my 52in LCD TV. I bought some headphone extension cables and the only thing outside are the probes and the fan. The new guru seems to be attach to the laptop via a usb cable. Maybe it will accept a usb ethernet adapter, we wont know till it comes out. If its usb to pc only, you would be limited to 15ft for your pc connection. I can access my stoker from anywhere. Here it is. http://tweetypi.dontexist.net

I can access from my cell phone as well. If you like gadgets go stoker.
  • BoneDaddy's
    Options
    hold on....I can get extension cables for my blower and probes! Please elaborate.....
    Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering
  • batt
    Options
    I bought 20ft headphone extension cables from Rat Shack. They work fine. I got the info from a post on this board. Do a search and you can get the Rat Shack part numbers.