Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Super Butt

Options
SoDakEgger
SoDakEgger Posts: 122
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It's a week late, but here it is the pork butt cooked for watching the Super Bowl with friends.

Here it is rubbed and waiting to go out on the Egg. This was a big sucker- about 9+ pounds.
IMG_1031.jpgIMG_1032.jpg

We had a decent break in what had been pretty cold weather. I got the Egg fired up and smoking away at just about 240 deg. 6 hours hater- still holding 240 dead on. At 9 hours my temperature started to drop- down to about 210, so I ever so gently nudged the vents. An hour later I was up to 350. Dammit! I think the wind had shifted, as it is wont to do here in South Dakota. I fiddled with the vents again and the temp was back down where it should have been in another hour or so. I thought about pulling the butt out and letting it cook in the oven for a while, but I thought better of it. Butts are awfully forgiving.

I pulled the butt off the Egg at 18 hours with internal temp about 190-195.

Pretty good result and enjoyed by all. Here is the finished product before it got a nap in the cooler for a couple of hours.
IMG_1033.jpgIMG_1034.jpg

The weather is improving and the days are starting to get noticeably longer. Time to get the Egging back into high gear.

Comments