Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza

Options
Horn Dog
Horn Dog Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Where can I buy Pizza dough? I thought someone said they were able to get it from their local Dominoes, but I called and they told me they were not allowed to do that. Are the ones in the grocery store any good? If so, what brands?[p]Thanks,
Horn Dog

Comments

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Horn Dog,
    Any chance you have a bread machine? That's where I get my dough. Never tried buying dough from a pizza place but if so, I'd check local, independent places rather than chains. If all else fails, you can always make it from scratch.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Horn Dog,
    Try a local pizza joint vs. a big chain. We have an outfit here in Raleigh named Capital Creations. They only have 3-4 stores and they sell pizza dough as well as unbaked pies. Try something on this scale. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Horn Dog, I've been using a Kroger mix (3 for $1.19). It makes a 12" pizza (thin crust), is dead simple (add 1/2 cup warm water, mix and let stand for 5 minutes) and I've not gotten any complaints. I also bought a crust-in-a-can (Kroger but the price is $1.79) but have not tried it yet. I have made dough in my bread machine but I did something wrong (will try again) cause it came out like soup (added flour saved it). So far, I've not been disappointed with any of the results. The pizza is good.

• Caney
    Caney Posts: 36
    Options
    Horn Dog,[p]Publix has it in the deli. Have bought it many times and have never been dissapointed.[p]Caney

• Unknown
    Options
    Horn Dog, if you have a Trader Joe's in your area, check it out. Their pizza dough is really good and very cheap--79 cents. We just moved from D.C. area to coastal North Carolina, so there's no TJ's here unfortunately. We just do the dough in the bread machine or the mixer now. Pretty good, I think.

• Justin
    Justin Posts: 35
    Options
    Horn Dog,[p]If you have standing mixer with a dough hook, use it, it your own dough will blow any store stuff away. Find any basic dough recipe and try a ratio of 1 part corn meal to two parts all purpose flour. It makes a thin or thicker crust depending on how you roll. 4 cups total flour/cornmeal mix will feed about ten to twelve. be suer to add about two T olive oil and try 1 T of italian herbs or oregano. [p]Here's an example:[p]2 Packages yeast (or 1/2 oz. or 4 1/2 teaspoons of yeast)
    2 teaspoons sugar
    4 cups of flour or more
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1 and 1/2 cups of warm water [p]combine the sugar, water, and yeast (the sugar and warmth helps get the yeast going faster) and mix them all up. Just watch the dough consistency as you add water.[p]When you have your dough ball, put it in an olive oiled bowl and set someplace warm covered for an hour. Then it's ready to go.[p]We cook a lot of pizzas at home, it's a great way to feed a lot of people. We just make a bunch of dough, sauce, and then prep all the rest and let people make thir own and rotate pizzas on and off the pizza stone. When one comes of the grill, we cut it up and everyone eats it. It's fun to try other's pizzas and everyone will just be hanging out and eating pizzas for a few hours... YUM![p]It may sound labor intensive, but it's not, we're talking five minutes to get the dough together, and it's cheap. Keep your yeast in the freezer so it doesn't die.[p]Let me know if you have any other questions.[p]Justin