Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

eye of round roast

Options
mo egg
mo egg Posts: 143
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i have a eye of round roast. my wife wants mashed pot. and gravy. so i was going to put it in a dutch oven uncovered put 1 pkg. dry onion soup mix on roast then put i can cream of mushroom soup on top of that then add 2 cans of beef broth to bottom of pan and cook indrect 250-275 does that sound about right? what temp. should i cook the meat to. thanks for any advice

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    When I do them indirect at 350F I pull at 120F. Should work in the DO the same way.
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    I partially followed Kent's method in a post last night.
    Here is a link to his detailed recipe:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=473938&catid=1

I would say the dome temp should be more like 325*. I peek through the daisy wheel from time to time to check the liquid level. You will be adding broth a couple of times. I did the entire cook without the lid.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Like Richard, I like to cook them hotter. I like 'em at 350 direct, rotating and building the crust on the outside until you hit 125 internal. That cut is so lean I am thinking the braising with soup would not be the best thing for it.....maybe a chuck, but not an eye round.

You could also go indirect in a roasting rack over a drip pan (like Richard sez) and put some beef broth in your drip pan, then use that to make your gravy.

Just some idears. Gotta run, it's "curriculum night" at the high school that my daughters (gasp) will be attending next year.

Beers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Little Steven
    Options
    mo egg,

I'm with Chris on this one. Not enough fat for a braise. You may find the meat tougher after. Don't know but as a guess. If you want to do it I would cut into thick steaks and pound with a meat mallet and do it that way. Again, I'm not sure.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON