Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new nomex gasket

Options
skihorn
skihorn Posts: 600
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Before I get to my question, I have to once again brag on my dealer - ChimChimney's in League City, TX.

When my gasket slid off my Large they provided a free replacement and told me what to do. They said if it didn't work they would come to my house to replace the next one. Sure enough it eventually slid off. They came to my house and replaced it. That one eventually slid off also and by this time I had bought a Medium with the same result. They got nomex gaskets from BGE and again came to my house and replaced them this week. I tried to at least pay them for the cost of the gasket but they refused. (Hopefully, BGE didn't charge them as this was obviously a manufacturing issue and not a dealer issue.) Brad and Brenda and the whole gang at ChimChimney's are great honest people that go out of their way to make the customer happy.

Now, on to my question - Is there any type of break in period for a nomex gasket? I am going to slow smoke some chickens today so that will be low temp. Is there anything special I should do? I am assuming I will need to open the vents just a smidgen more than I am used to as I have mostly been cooking without gaskets which let some air in through the sides.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Of course, I will keep everyone informed with how the nomex works out.

Freddie
League City, TX

Comments

• Wanabe
    Wanabe Posts: 355
    Options
    When I replace my original gasket with the Nomex I used it with no break-in and have had zero problems.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    the new directions to the nomex gasket says pretty much what we have been recomending here for years.. but since your dealer put it on you proabably did not get the directions :laugh:

they say top keep the temp below 500 for the first 6-8 cooks to give the adhesive time to cure
    crackedeggfirday009.jpg

the nomex gasket is a great thing since you had professionals install it they proabably did not streach it like i did.. but if they did you will know it
    gasket021608003.jpg

then just peel some of it back scrape off the excess glue and spray 3m's super 77 and place the gasket back down ;)

HTH

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• skihorn
    Options
    Thanks. They may have left the instructions. I haven't looked.

While they are professionals this is the first time they have installed a nomex. I am sure they followed the instructions as they are very frustrated with the problems I have had.

Just curious, what do you think counts as a "cook." If I fire it up to 300 for 20 minutes each day this week when I am not cooking on it, would each of those count as a cook or should I do it longer? I hate to waste lump but I do want to get it "broken in" as soon as possible since both of my Eggs have virgin gaskets.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    It normally takes from 20 to 45 minutes to burn off any volatile organic compounds (VOCs) from the lump before you should begin cooking. Smell the fumes coming off the egg. If they smell acrid...wait awhile, if they smell good...start cooking.
  • Woody69
    Woody69 Posts: 360
    Options
    I put my Nomex on with the 3m 77 and haven't looked back. If they put it on right, it will be there, break in or not, IMO. I like the nomex a lot better than the felt gasket.
  • BENTE
    Options
    i am not sure if you are giving it timwe to heat up all the way if you are only waiting 20 min... i would wait 40 or so just to make sure... there are several million things you can cook below 500 pretty much everything except steaks and pizza... but don't wait to throw food on there just because you are "breaking it in"

i talked with hammer (mitch) last summer when i had a problem with mine and he did alot of testing for bge.. he would install the gasket, fire up to 500 degrees, close the egg off. get up the next day tear the gasket off install a new one and start all over again.. he said he never had a problem.. i also had no problem with my first nomex gasket it would still be here today if it were not for a little problem

crackedeggthurs004.jpg

:(

but the second one i put on i streatched.. i also streatched one i put on for a fellow egger and the adhesive broke loose.. but since then bge has done away with the adhesive backing on the nomex and the instructions say to use the super 77.. i guess it is almost luck of the draw. if i were you i would "break it in" and then worry about the slippage later.. if you have any problems let me know i would be happy to help you ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• skihorn
    Options
    Thanks, but I wasn't thinking about necessarily cooking on it other than the chickens I am doing today. I was just thinking about firing it up for a few minutes each evening to help with the break in. That way if I want to sear a steak next weekend, theoretically it would be broken in.
  • skihorn
    Options
    Ouch! How did you crack your EGG?

Thanks for the advice on time. I hate to waste that much lump so I'll just follow your advice and stay away from steaks for a while.
  • BENTE
    Options
    i am not sure if i really know what happened to my egg..

i was told that it happened because of putting it into a nest to hard may have started the crack and over time it became worse.. but i do not believe it (and no one will ever change my mind about it).. because i always put my egg into the nest with kid gloves but i am not too worried about it because i got a new one :)

if you run out of ideas here is one we have been enjoying on tortillas like a pork taco :evil:

Pork, Tenderloin, Grilled Lime Marinated Pork

Had another 'personal best' on the Egg tonight. I used an old pork chop recipe that I had in my BigOven software and I just converted it to pork tenderloin. All of us had at least two helpings. One of my 8 y/o's friends was over for dinner and he scarfed it down like a hungry pup

INGREDIENTS:
    4 pork chops (see notes below)
    3 tsp lime juice
    4 tsp olive oil
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp dried oregano
    2 garlic
    1 tsp crushed red pepper
    ground pepper
    1/2 tsp salt

Instructions
    1 Place pork in a shallow non-reactive dish or heavy duty sealable bag.
    2 In a small bowl, combine all marinade ingredients and pour the mixture over the pork. Turn the meat to coat thoroughly, cover the dish or seal the bag and marinate 1 to 3 hours.
    3 Remove the meat from the marinade, discarding the marinade and place the chops on the grill to sear. Cook about 8 minutes per side, depending on thickness.
    Our Notes:
    1 02-22-2008: This works great using a pork tenderloin instead of the chops. Get the grill (BGE) to 500°F and sear the tenderloin on each side for about 60-90 seconds. Set the tenderloin in a v-rack in a water filled dripping pan and return to grill. Maintain the heat around 450f until the meat hits 145f internal temp. Double wrap in foil and allow to sit for at least 10 minutes so temp will rise to 155f. Slice on a bias and serve.
    3 Chris
    4 Knoxville TN

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Swibirun, 2008/02/22

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Austin Smoker
    Options
    Thanks for bragging on your dealer - excellent customer service is too rare to keep quiet about them!
  • skihorn
    Options
    Sounds delicious!

That scares me about your Egg. I was hoping you were going to say you dropped it or something. Fortunately, from reading here, that appears to be an unusual problem (cracking for no obvious reason). However, I am sure I will get paranoid and be checking for cracks.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • BENTE
    Options
    don't loose a moment sleep over it bge is a great company that stands behind their product.. mine was covered by warrantee proabably because there were no signs of abuse which they will not warantee...

and the good thing they do not consider this abuse

DSCN1303.jpg

:evil:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• skihorn
    Options
    Glad to hear they covered it. That does make me feel much better. When you made the comment about someone saying you had placed it in the nest too roughly I was afraid that was their argument to void the warranty.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • BENTE
    Options

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Bente

The recipe looks great. If you haven't done so already, you should put it in it's own post so it will get more attention.

GG
  • BENTE
    Options
    i have posted it a couple of times but i have yet to do it with a plated shot and all of the rest of that jazz....

we have all been sick and busier than a one legged man at a a$$ kicking contest so i have been a little too busy to be in here as much as i like.. but today i am making a brisket and getting ready to go to a function so just happy to be in here contributing...

hope all is going well for you ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb