Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Braided spinach & feta bread with pine nuts

Options
Boatman
Boatman Posts: 854
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wanted to try something different with my beloved no knead bread recipe. Saw this awhile back and thought I would give it a try. First sauté 1 pound of fresh spinach and allow to drain. Then roll out your favorite dough to roughly 8" x 18", then add 1/2 pound of feta
IMG_1548.jpg

Then add the spinach
IMG_1549.jpg

Add lots of pine nuts, then using a pizza cutter make slits about 3/4" wide all the way down the sides
IMG_1550.jpg

Fold the slits together to make the weave, add an egg wash and sprinkle on some black sesame seeds
IMG_1552.jpg

Into the egg for 1/2 hour at 350 - pizza style setup
IMG_1553.jpg

Yummy
IMG_1555.jpg

Comments

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    that is the prettiest thing I've seen in a long time, can you tell me more about the bread itself, I have to make this
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Boatman
    Options
    I use a basic no knead recipe. This recipe will make enough for 2 loaves. Here it is:

Ingredients for basic No Knead Bread
    5 cups bread flour
    1/4 tsp. instant yeast
    1 1/2 tsp. salt
    1 1/2 cups purified or spring water
    Mix together the dry ingredients.
    Mix in water until the water is incorporated.
    Cover with plastic and let sit 18 hours.
    Cover loosely with plastic and rest for 15 minutes.
    Transfer to well floured towel or proofing basket. Cover with towel and let rise about 1 1/2 hours.
    Bake in covered La Cloche or Dutch oven preheated to 500 degrees for 30 minutes.
    Remove cover; reduce heat to 450 degrees and bake an additional 15 minutes.
    Let cool completely on rack.
    Consume bread, be happy.
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    Wow! I agree with Zippy very impressive.
  • Austin Smoker
    Options
    WOW man, that is one impressive looking loaf of bread. Thanks for posting the pics.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Dang that looks incredible.

I have been wanting to get into some no-knead action, but don't have any recipes. Seen several, but not printed them....or printed and misplaced ;-)

Anyways, can you direct me to a good recipe with instructions for a semi bread dummy?

Off to cook a demo at Whole Foods, so I'll check back in later today! Again, looks fantastic. My stomach is growlin.

Happy weekend!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    I see you posted your recipe below. Thanks very much!
    If you don't mind, cupla questions:
    - For the 18 hours, is that at room temp?
    - After the 18, it says loosely wrapped for 15. So, you just loosen the wrap and let some air in?
    – When you transfer the dough to towel or proofing basket, do you punch it, or do anything?

Any other tricks for a rookie??

I have been dying to do this, and learn more about breads. Bread is sooooo good.

Thanks!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • momcooks
    momcooks Posts: 247
    Options
    That looks wonderful. I'm guessing toasted pine nuts wouldn't make much difference?
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    I also saw this bread on the Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day website a while back too (www.artisanbreadinfive.com for those who want to check it out). Glad to see there's another fan of that site!

I've been meaning to try it - Jeff (the author) said they used a whole wheat brioche dough (but he didn't post the recipe).

I'm curious if you thought an enriched dough (like the brioche, which has eggs) would have made a significant difference in the final product. I've hesitated making it because I don't need a bunch of brioche dough hanging around since it only "keeps" for a few days and you can't use the "residue" or any leftovers in the next batch of dough.

Oh, and if you haven't tried it, the semolina dough makes WONDERFUL bread, especially after 10-12 days. I made a loaf last night and it is really flavorful. Tastes like it would make a nice artisan baguette or some Italian rolls for Pepper Beef sandwiches.
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • Boatman
    Options
    Sorry, but I missed a step! :sick:
    Yes, 18 hours at roon temp. I usually punch it down once....when I remember :whistle: Here is the step I missed....take it out of the bowl, I just sprinkle some flour on it, stretch it a bit and fold it onto itself 4 times. Then set it on the counter with some plastic wrap on it loosely. Then into the poofong basket etc. B) Sorry for the confusion. It is pretty hard to screw this dough up.
  • Boatman
    Options
    This was my first attempt at making this....but it won't be my last B)
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Thanks!!!
    I'll git her started.
    Between this, and that mind boggling picture ClayQ just posted, I am on a bread mission!
    Much appreciate the tips.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com