Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fidel's Mellow Mushroom Dough

Options
Scotty's Inferno
Scotty's Inferno Posts: 624
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First, Fidel, cudos for working on this. The MM dough my favorite, and I have worked on it a bit. There's lots of rumor, myth and mystery about the magical dough. I have heard that it has parmesean in it. I think that it has some wheat flour in it. What are your thoughts on the parmesean and wheat? Scott

PS-Watching those guys toss the large doughs is amazing. It looks like it just won't tear.

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I have tried wheat flour, and what happens is that the dough loses its stretch.

I don't know that is has parmesan in it, but I know they add it to the crust exterior. I have also heard they use an egg white wash.

Next time I tinker I am planning to try a couple things. I am going to try to use a little semolina and I am going to try a little wheat germ.

What I do know is the molasses and spring water are vital to the recipe.

With a little practice and the proper dough consistency you can toss dough like that. It's really not that tough to do once you get the dough right.
  • Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    It's really not that tough to do once you get the dough right.

It's the last part of that statement that I'm working on. I can toss with reckless abandon, but I see weak spots that make me put on the brakes.

Does as little as 1/3 wheat flour cause you to lose stretch?

Semolina is intersting. The MM dough has a very yellowish tint to it.

Keep us posted, Scott