Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long to rub a butt?

TheDirtyBurger
TheDirtyBurger Posts: 846
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have asked this question before but I always get different answers. When I found the wonderful world of BBQ it was explained to me to rub the butt 24 hours prior to smoking. Then I started hearing about how that cures the pork (if its too salty) and you should only do it 4 hours or so before the smoke. Can someone please give me "THE" answer.

I want to know the right way to rub my butt and you guys seem like expierenced butt rubbers!
tim

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I think you get different answers because there is no one answer. I rub mine right before putting them on. -RP
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    A part of the problem is that the perception of the result is a matter of taste. Because rubs essentially are cures, the longer they sit on the meat, the "hamier" the meat becomes. Not a problem with ham. Not a problem is you like butts or ribs that taste a bit like ham. Personally, I prefer an overnight in the fridge for butts, and 2 - 4 in the fridge for ribs. If you have the meat sitting at room temp for a few hours, that will speed the process, also.

As a btw, I ate at a pretty good BBQ joint a few months ago. They do a really big business. The ribs were very moist and tender, among the best I've had. However, they tasted very much like ham. I can only suppose that to meet the large demand, the ribs are rubbed the day(s) before, or, alternatively, are held cooked for several hours, before cut and sauced.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    experiment, there is no right answer. i add rub til the meat is uniformely covered, then slather with mustard, then add rub til the mustard starts to disappear, then smear it by hand til the mustard turns one uniform color with the rub. it sits on the counter while i light the egg and get things stabilized, about an hour. the only time i let it sit for a few hours is plain sugar on a brisket before adding rub last minute, or when cooking cats rib rescipe with the wet rub. i dont see the benifit from starting the day before
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • opod
    opod Posts: 41
    i've tried right before, i've tried the day before. i've tried brining, i've tried not brining. i've tried mustard rub, i've tried dry rub. i've tried EVOO. I've tried many of these side-by-side during the same smoke. Maybe my palate is desensitized from too many spicy foods, but i just can't tell much of a difference. seems to me a butt will do what a butt will do.
    that's true on more than one level.
  • Eggscaper
    Eggscaper Posts: 213
    The right answer is Until she says to stop or your wife comes home :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :blush: