Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first cookout

Options
glousteau
glousteau Posts: 124
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ok, I'm nuts, but lots of people here are too :). Just bought my egg yesterday after getting the itch mostly b/c of this site, too late to cook on it then. So today, I decided to cook some Ribeyes, only thing is it started snowing (which isn't good news for my thin blood), but I was determined to use my egg...

2009-01-07-25_024.jpg

Me turning them after 2 minutes
2009-01-07-25_026.jpg

Let them go another 2, then shut everything down and let them sit for 3 minutes.

Finished Product
2009-01-07-25_029.jpg

They came out a little rare for our liking, so I put them back on for 4 more minutes while we ate our salads and they were perfect.

I kept the fire going and slapped on some ribs for dinner. My dealer didn't have the plate in stock, so I've got them in a pan directly on the grill, hope this works :) I used to always cook my ribs in the oven wrapped in foil, then sear them on my gas grill to cook on the sauce. We shall see...

Anyone have the composite racks? I thought I'd like them, and do like the 2 side ones, but the middle one is just a pain. It blocks the bottom vent when down and makes your reach onto the grill that much longer when its up. I'm going to see if my dealer will let me return the middle rack when I pick up the plate and a few other accessories he didn't have in stock.

Comments

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    What a knockout I am talking about the steaks and not the snow :lol: Seriously, that is pretty B) for a first cook.

Happy Egging, Pharmeggist
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    tell us about those 3 cute side tables attached to your New BGE B)
  • Marc  from IL
    Options
    Congrats! What away to start your new egging life, You make the cut to be a BGE'er. Nice job, I love it when people cook in the weather.
    Marc
  • Lake Conroe Egger
    Options
    Congratulations, very nice first cook. I can tell, your going to get just as addicted as the rest of us!

Just stick around this forum and you'll a lot very quickly. I've been cooking for 30 years and never realized how much I didn't know about until about two months ago when I started lurking around here.

Good luck with your new egg.
  • devmode
    devmode Posts: 68
    Options
    Nice. My first steak came out a little rare too - I chalk it up to excitement... and a little learning.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    The best thing in the first picture is the old gasser in the background, covered up and collecting snow! Might think about putting it on Ebay or Craig's list :)

First, most used accessory, should be a remote internal thermometer (Maverick ET-73 is a great one). After the sear, stick the probe in the thickest part of the meat, go inside, write on the forum, whatever, until your inside remote shows 125 deg internal (for medium rare), then get the pan, some foil to cover and go grab those suckers off the grill. Cover and let rest while you prep your potato and other sides, then enjoy !

Seriously, cooking by internal temp is much more reproducible than using time only.

Great start. Hang with this forum and you will be delivering impressing cooks in no time.
  • glousteau
    glousteau Posts: 124
    Options
    Yep, I know that's the best way. I cook roasts like that all the time (rump, whole ribeye, tenderloin-pork or beef, etc). I've always cooked my steaks w/o a thermometer and have usually been happy with the results. Cooking on the egg is different tho, can't hear quite as much (or see, my gas grill had a window). I guess I could stick the probe into my wifes steak and keep mine pristine :) I have a remote thermometer that I use often, might have to give that a try till i perfect my recipe.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    My wife only likes ribeyes and fortunately we both like them medium rare. I sear at 600 deg or so, (2 min each side), then insert my probe into the side, put it back on with both vents shut (dwell). Pull when it reaches 125, cover in foil and after about 5 or so minutes, perfect dinner!

Good luck. There clearly is a learning curve when moving from gas to the BGE, but you will abandon that ole gasser soon enough ! :woohoo:
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    glousteau,

Congrats, and welcome to the EggNation! Nice job for your first cook! Reminds me a lot of what I did when I fired mine up in Oct 2007 for the first time. I did some strip steaks and some chicken thighs.

One thing I've been using on a regular basis is the TRex method for cooking steaks. A few tweaks on that method, because the butchers don't normally cut steaks as thick as specified in his technique. So, I'm on a timer for the sear, then a combination of a timer and a really fast instant-read thermometer (Thermoworks MTC, the same guys who make Thermapen, but mine is modular and can use different probes...) to finish up.

Here is a link to the TRex method

WessB and thirdeye's sites were the main places I went starting out, but really it was the wisdom shared by the great forum members that really has kept me going further into cooking on the BGE. I hope that you'll find this place as helpful and as friendly as I did when first starting out. There are a lot of really fine people posting here and offering advice and help for just about anything you may have questions about.

Cheers,