Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gloves...

Options
Duck
Duck Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just curious, what type of gloves do you all use to move hot plate-setters etc?

Comments

• Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Alot of us use welding gloves. They're bulky and clumsy, BUT...........you won't get burnt unless you hold on way too long.
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    I use welding gloves for plate setters and pizza stones. I've got an OveGlove that I like for general use on grates and pans, etc., but I haven't had the courage to grab a hot pizza stone with it, yet (or ever). :blink:
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    I have the BGE gloves and they work good for most stuff. I wouldn't use them for hot lump removal, bill has a good pair for that. He said they were pretty expensive but worth it.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Ditto weekend Warrior.

Local welding supply store will also have an inexpensive wire brush for cleaning your grill. Don't waste your time with those cute brass brushes.

They last 6 or 7 good cleanings and then you have to go buy another one.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I much prefer these 500° Orka's for those kinds of tasks - welding gloves are ok for lower temps, but these are far superior for the task. I've even cleared out hot burning lump at end of competitions using these. Just throw in the dishwasher!
    IMG_0327.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    I use the same and think they're the best so far. I had a pair of leather gloves (no good),I have the yellow fuzzy welders gloves (heat came right through). I believe the ridges on the Orka make the difference for the time and the heat.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    I have Orka gloves. They work great for plate setters, but little else. You lose the ability to use your fingers, they work like a lobster claw.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Here are a couple tidbits on welding gloves: probably more than you want to know.

When a manufacturer says a glove/mitt is good to X degrees that does not mean it will protect you to X degrees. It means the glove/mitt, itself, will withstand X degrees before it’s damaged. Just remember, the temperature rating covers the glove/mitt and not you. This is a good thing to know when looking at silicon base gloves.

Leather is the most common face (exterior side) for welding gloves/mitts. I've asked several glove manufacturers what's a max temperature for welding gloves. The common answer is…depending on how the leather is tanned, leather welding gloves can withstand intermittent temperatures to 400 degrees before damage (burning) occurs. Repeated burning causes the leather to become brittle or stiff.

Don’t be alarmed if you find a glove where the tanning process is described as chrome tanning. This glove/mitt does not resemble a shiny car bumper. Actually, some manufacturers (USA) suggest chromed gloves/mitts are better at tolerating higher temperatures than gloves/mitts tanned with vegetable or fish oils.

The better welding gloves/mitts use Kevlar stitching. Kevlar is a high strength and high temperature material. Gloves/mitts made with a Kevlar face are available but can be expensive. I've found Kevlar gloves are not much better than welding gloves for our applications. Sure, the Kevlar goes to higher temps, but again higher temps to protect the glove and not your hand. Kevlar is high heat and strength, not high insulating.

Wool and foam are the typical insulators behind the outer leather face. The better gloves/mitts use wool as the primary insulator. Some manufacturers have developed their own proprietary fabrics and blends to use as insulators and/or face material.

I've used gloves in gloves but this really limits finger movement. With welding gloves, the ole saying, you get what you pay for probably has some truth.

I can only offer three recommendations: 1. Move fast with hot stuff in your hand. 2. If you burn the leather really good, you'll smell it burning and possibly feel it tighten up around your fingers. 3. If you burn the leather really good, move your fingers away from the burned spot fast. These burned (hot) spots linger and can in turn burn your finger(s). Not that I’m speaking from experience or anything, dang it.
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    tjv,
    So just when have you come in contact with any hot metal? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Your products are the BOMB thanks.
    Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Bricktucky
    Options
    I have a pair of those myself. I've picked up and moved a hot plate setter. Got pretty warm inside and the leather got a bit singed, but I didn't burn so I was happy.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    yep, the number of smiley faces you used is about right, one for each finger plus thumb on my right hand....LOL. thanks on the positive vibes too. T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • BoneDaddy's
    Options
    I bought a paor of fireman gloves off ebay, rated to over 1000degrees. I also use them in my fireplace with never as much as a warm feeling. I can grab a pizza stone after a 700 degree cook
    Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    Steve Raichlen Extra Long Suede Gloves. Get them on Amazon or from Fred's Music and BBQ. You can pick up a plate setter with them and they're long enough to protect from (some) flashback. Still on my original pair after 3 years.

Dave
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • safetyman
    Options
    I have both the Orka and OVE gloves and they each have their purpose. At times I use a cheap cotton glove to clean out old ash and move 'cold' accessories around.