Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

QUICK DUCK HELP NEEDED!

Options
Shelby
Shelby Posts: 803
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Following Darryl's duck cooking method. Have had 2 ducks on for just over 4 hours at 200*. No signs of being anywhere close to ready. Any thoughts on adjusting temp up or how to finish?[p]Thanks!

Comments

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Shelby,[p]I was hoping djm would jump in to help..... If dinner is waiting and folks are hungry, I'd suggest pumping up the temp to 250.
    They are so fatty, there shouldn't be a problem with them drying out.
    And I can't imagine them taking too much longer to finish.[p]Let's hear how they turn out.
    John

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Shelby,[p]I would increase the temp - 200 is pretty low.[p]Tim
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    ducks01.jpg
    <p />Shelby,
    My little babies are headed for cover.[p]CWM

• Shelby
    Options
    Paniced over nothing. Took their little temp at 5 hours and were perfect. Wife said it's the best birthday meal she's had...and she's had a bunch of birthdays! (fortunately for me, she doesn't read this forum!)
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Tim:[p]No. 200º is fine, this is a "low and slow" fat rendering cook. I know you said previously that you do not care for duck so come down here and let me cook a couple for you. (smilie thingie)
    [/b]
  • djm5x9
    Options
    duck3.jpg
    <p />CWM:[p]And it is a damn good thing . . . The could look like these two from The Peabody![p]
  • djm5x9
    Options
    Shelby:[p]Glad to hear that all turned out well! Now for any insight you may have . . . What would you do differently to improve the cook?
    [/b]
  • Shelby
    Options
    djm5x9,
    Not sure what I'd do differently. One never browned up nicely but then that's not necessarily a requirement. They certainly didn't look like yours! I'd probably go with a little more seasoning and would probably check the internal sooner, rather than later.
    The wife and son gave them rave reviews; not so much from me, but then I'm not a major duck fan.
    Thanks again!

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    djm5x9,[p]Since the original poster said that they didn't brown up like yours in your pictures, I am wondering if a higher temp isn't needed in the Bge cooker. Your different brand cooker could be different and since I have never cooked on one I am just guessing. I would imagine that dome temp on one may not be the same dome temp on another that is made as radically different as yours - I would also guess the grid level temps could be different as well. The two brands I have are identical and they do cook the same and seem to be able to use the same dome temps to achive the same results, but your brand "might" be somewhat different. I am not saying it is - just not sure.[p]PS - "I in no way intend, intended, tried to, or am attempting to instigate any argument nor do I intend, in any way, to insult, degrade, dispute or argue with you in any way in this post".[p]Tim M
    <FONT COLOR="#007F00"><FONT SIZE="5">image001.gif</FONT></FONT>

• djm5x9
    Options
    Tim:[p]Shucks, I know you were just trying to be helpful . . . I think you are right, a higher temperature towards the end might Crispin things up a bit.