Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brisket size

TRex
TRex Posts: 2,714
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I was going to take the plunge and cook my first brisket last weekend. I went to HEB grocery store here in Houston, and they had quite a few of the market trim briskets with the nice fat cap, which, from what I understand, is what I want to get.[p]Problem was, these things were all so HUGE. I mean, even the 10 and 11 pounders (smallest ones in the batch) would not have fit on my Medium egg, especially with an elevated grill/indirect setup. [p]Should I just buy one of these things and chop it in half? Is this a silly question? [p]What size briskets do you guys usually cook on a Medium? [p]TRex

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Not silly at all, Rex. I buy whole briskets and cut them in half (sort of) to cook. Actually, I separate the flat from the point. The flat (the thinner section) usually takes a little less time to get to my desired temp of 190-195°. The time difference isn't a whole lot, maybe an hour or so, but it can make all the difference in the world. You can by just the brisket flat, but they are way overpriced compared to the whole brisket IMHO. I can by whole briskets at Wal-Mart for $1.18/lb. vs. the flat for $1.58/lb. I would think that you could probably cook the two pieces on your medium by using a grill extender. If not, there is nothing wrong with cooking one at a time. Good luck and enjoy!!!!!!!!!![p]Jim
  • TRex,
    let's hope Jim Minion jumps in here and tells the world about the advantages of a shoulder clod over a brisket. He just made a believer out of Dr Chicken. Have at it, Jim!

• ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    TRex,
    I would cook the brisket whole. It's the Texas way!
    It is a challenge to get them on a medium but it can be done. I bought a 9 pounder and used a V-rack and sort of curled it into position. 10 hours and 250° indirect later I had a fine meal.

[ul][li]brisket on a medium[/ul]