Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork butt results

Options
PWise
PWise Posts: 1,173
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
so after a very "uneasy" morning on Friday (I was at work while the egg was cooking two pork butts) I went home at about 1pm to check on them. Temp was internal 200 and 196
After15hours.jpg
I took them out and wrapped them in foil and place in a cooler for them to rest.
The guests began to arrive and we placed the ABTs in the grid
ABTs.jpg
In the meantime, after about 1 hour we pulled one of the pork butts and placed the other one in the fridge for rapid cooling (I had family coming over next day)
Afterrestingbeforepulling.jpg
beingpulled.jpg
I can say that (I have never had pulled pork before) I enjoyed it very much. It is well worth the time you input into it and will be doing it again this saturday. The guests really liked it and all was gone in no time.
We did have one minor setback during the afternoon... I don't know what it is about mexicans (or people in general) that when they see a closed grill the automatically go and open it to see what's inside... the thing is that A LOT of charcoal was left after 18 hours
leftovercharcoal18hrs.jpg
so I wanted to use it for something, steaks maybe... I opened the vents and with the tequila and all, fogot about it... so after I realized I had opened the vents the temp was up to nearly 700°F. So I closed the vents to "try" and cool it down to around 500°F... in the meantime one of my curious friends got their forearm hair cinched and I got my gaskets burnt... :S :pinch:
blowngaskets.jpg
At the end all was good as I realized (at least to my low experience with the Egg) that it doesn't really need the gaskets (that same day and the next I was able to smoke perfectly and control temperature without any problems)...

In the end all was good and everyone was happy. Even Beli who very generously showed up with a bottle of very fine tequila, which I'm sorry to say, didn't survive the night.
withbeli.jpg

The next day (as I mentioned before) I had family coming over for "lunch" so at around 12pm and much against my will (I wanted to sleep more) I lighted the charcoal again, set it up indirect and took the temp up to 250-300°F and placed in the cold-previouslyslowcooked-pork butt that was in the fridge and heated it up up until 160°F internal (3.5 hours)
Just before taking it out I cooked the sauce ingredients, and then took out the pork to rest a little
secondbuttwithsaucecomponents.jpg
It was so tender and soft that it just "broke apart" as I tried to lift it
secondbuttbeforebeingpulled.jpg
secondbuttbeforebeingpulled1.jpg
In the end we ended up with this
secondbuttpulledinchafer1.jpg
and made some tacos with recently-egg-hand-made flour tortillas
pulledporktacos.jpg
It didn't need anything on it because it was so good, but we all still used son jalapeño-habanero sauce on it and used some beers to cool us down.

Thanks a lot to everyone for all your help in this matter, I hope you enjoy the pictures and the post.
talk to you soon
cheers,

Comments

• OzarkQ
    OzarkQ Posts: 150
    Options
    Looks great! How did you use the tomatillos (sp?)?

There was a post by Bene, I think it was, last year about making asada, and it looked soooo good!
  • PWise
    Options
    I did two sauces on saturday, one hot, and one mild
    the hot one had
    2 tomatoes
    10 jalapeños
    1 habanero
    20 piquin chile
    3 garlic confit cloves
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 teaspoon seasalt

all went in the blender and a nice, deliciously orange, and EXTREMELY HOT sauce came out.

the mild sauce was done in a simillar way
    6 tomatillos
    1 onion
    1 sprig cliantro
    1 jalapeño
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 teaspoon seasalt
    1 teaspoon crushed pepper

It was very good and not hot at all (my dad, although he loves it, cannot eat chili).

cheers,
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    mmmm, nice looking pork, Pato. What's your recipe for flour tortillas? Do you use a press? I've made them at home on a few occasions, but have always had difficulties getting them as thin as I'd like. I don't own a press, and instead, I place the dough-ball between two flexible cutting mats and press them with the bottom of a heavy pan. It works pretty well, but I can't get them thin enough. I don't know if my dough is a little too dense, or if I just need a tortilla press.
  • PWise
    Options
    thanks on the compliments, and well about the tortillas it's actually pretty easy, but yes, I use a press and can understand your troubles. I lived in Ireland for 2 years and couldn't get a press anywhere, I was to lazy at the time to roll up each one by hand with a rolling pin so tried everything to improvise a press as you say... I ended up building a wooden press... you'd be surprised that it's not as hard as you might think... and yes, you will never have thin tortillas witout a press (or a rolling pin and lots of free time). The dough is also very important, here is my recipe:

500 grams (about 4 cups) white all-purpose flour
    1 teaspon salt
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    150 grams pork fat (vegetable shortening can be substituted)
    250 ml (1 cup) hot water

you start by mixing the dry ingredients and then cutting in the fat and adding water as needed to make a soft ball but that it stays together. the rest is easy, make small balls, and press or roll... cook in hot skillet or 400°F direct grill until puffed taking care not to burn them (you will have to experiment to find the nice "not-burning-hot-spot" and the time it takes for them to puff without getting burnt.

hope this helps
    cheers,
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Options
    I'm here on a Monday morning starting my diet for the millionth time and you're showing pics of some great looking butt :whistle: It looks really good.
    Brian in PA
  • PWise
    Options
    hehehehehe thanks... but nobody is pointing a gun to your head my friend... :P and anyways, pork is leaner than you might think and you might as well include it in your diet hehe

cheers and good luck with the diet ;)
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Well amigos,
    I was very fortunate to be invited to Pato's XL maiden voyage....but most important, I met a true friend with whom I share many common interests...
    To start with, he is a dedicated Chef with lots of cooking knowledge & common sense a combination of attributes which make his cooks extraordinary. I must say I had never tried Pork Butt in México, since its not a meat cut we get here, this one was tender, moist and with a lot of flavour and guessing by the expression on his guests faces he is going to have lots of company when cooking in the future....BTW...that grid looks much happier filled with ABT's now.. ;)

FELICIDADES PATO !!!!
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Options
    The diet will probably only last until tonight :laugh:
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Pato,
    Your pictures told the story well, I'm glad your first of many overnighters was a success.
    Ross
  • PWise
    Options
    Beli I think you're giving me waaay too much credit heheh :whistle: but I'm glad you enjoyed yourself and you sure are welcome anytime you wish. By the way, te mandan saludos "el pajarillo" y mi papá...

saludos!
  • PWise
    Options
    hahaha well I just hope you're not breaking the diet beacause of my pulled pork photos (tacos of which were actually veeeery good) :whistle: I couldn't live with the guilt hehehehe :laugh:
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    That meat in those tortillas has me drooling. -RP
  • PWise
    Options
    thanks a lot, It was a bit "worrying" having the egg at a certain temperature for so long without knowing for myself how it would react... It was well worth it and will happily do it again this friday-night-saturday-morning.... I AM getting a Stoker or a DigiQ II (haven't decided yet) as soon as humanly possible though... in the meantime I'll just stick to having a pre-party the night before while we monitor the temperature with some tequilas and beer in hand... hehe :silly:
  • Beli
    Options
    TKS Pato....you don't mean the one and only pajarillo I know......Hernán Martínez???
  • PWise
    Options
    hehehe well, your comments actually helped a lot! and I thank you... and you're welcome any time to have some tacos hehe ;)
  • PWise
    Options
    hahaha you would not believe the coincidence... he is my father-in-law... I married his daughter Cinthia... I had both families over on saturday and was actually telling my dad that you had come and said to say hello, and Herman jumped into the conversation and said "Belisario Davila was here?!, how come?!" you can imagine my surprise since I was actually telling my dad hehehe
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Mouth watering....good thing lunch is getting close.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Beli
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: .....talk about a small world...a great friend no doubt...me los saludas..por favor.
  • PWise
    Options
    cuenta con ello!
    slds
  • DawnC
    DawnC Posts: 12
    Options
    Oh noooooooo.... now I have ANOTHER thing to add to my ever growing list of stuff I'm gonna try on the egg.

Homemade fired tortillas.

Man, you guys are a plethora of ideas!
  • PWise
    Options
    do post pictures hehe