Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

last call for apple suggestions

Options
Seth
Seth Posts: 79
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The other day I put out a request for types of apples to cook with a pork loin. I got some good recipies, but not quite what i was looking for. I am going to spiral cut a loin, put some diced apples and cashews, and hopefully some other good stuff in it. Here is where i am looking to the crative minds of the forum.... What kind of apples would you suggest, and what else would go good with this, ie spices, flavorings, etc? Thanks in advance. One more thing, I am cooking direct on a raised grill at 325*, and i am thinking about 1 1/2 hr to cook to 145* internal. Does that sound about right?
Seth

Comments

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    seth, Every search I do they seem to come up with the granny smith. I think it holds up to the cooking process.
    Here's one link for stuffed pork. Adjust to your liking.
    Bob

[ul][li]stuffed pork loin[/ul]
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    seth,
    Another choice is Gala apples. They hold their firmness like Granny Smith and have great flavor. An important other flavor to add is allspice and/or cloves. At least in the brines that I use for pork, they seem just right. Have fun.

• seth,[p]I would use Macintosh apples, since they are my favorite. Also, they break down in cooking so it would make more of an apple sauce-y stuffing. I'd season the apples with a little brown sugar, cinnamon and a small pinch of fresh nutmeg. I'd mix maybe 3 teaspoons of sage (SO good with pork!) with 1 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper and, if you like, maybe a 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder. Rub the stuffed pork with that.[p]I'm guessing that your temps and time to 145 will be pretty close, yes.[p]Lee