Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless Ribeye Roast

Deluca
Deluca Posts: 148
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I am about to put a 8 lb. roast on using a place setter and a rack over it. I plan on searing it at 500 for 30 minutes and then shutting it down to...... This is where I need help. What temperature should I continue to cook it at to have it be done in about 2 to 3 hours?
Thanks

Comments

• EGC
    EGC Posts: 448
    At 300, I would guess you're looking at 15 -20 minutes per pound.
  • Deluca
    Alright EGC, I'm going to go with that! I'll let you know how it turns out!

Thank you for replying so fast!
  • I'd cook it to rare (120-125 deg) then sear. It is easier to heat the Egg up than to cool it down. The end result should be close to med-rare.
  • Deluca
    I might be S.O.L.
    The meat didn't thaw out in the middle. This was a piece I was suppose to do before X-Mas but all the snow we has up here in Seattle made us reschedule so I froze it. I took it out last night and put it in the fridge and then found it still hard so I wrapped it up and put it in the tub for a few hours. It felt fine when I pulled it out. The electric thermometer still says LO and it's been in for 50 minutes. Wondering if I should cut it in half?
  • Cook it tomorrow.
  • Deluca
    So here is what happened:
    As soon as I stuck the thermometer in it must have broke. After an hour I pulled it out and it was stuck on "LO". I ran to the store and changed the batteries. Did nothing. I ended up running to Sur La Table and getting a new thermometer. By the time I got it back into the roast it was at 112* I pulled it out at 125 and let it sit for 30 minutes while my wife and I finished up the side dishes. It turned out to be a bit dry. It was a solid medium pretty much. Except for the center. I'm guessing that since I had to freeze it and that I let it sit for so long are the factors that dried it out.
    It looked great and everyone seemed to like it. I know I can do better!
    Also, does anyone have a proven recipe to collect the drippings and make a gravy or au jous?

Thanks for the posts
  • Boogie
    Boogie Posts: 137
    I put mine in a roaster pan on a grid, but as long as you put a pan under, it should be fine. To the pan, I deglazed with a half a bottle of cabernet. Let that cook off a bit and added some Dijon, fresh chopped rosemary. Strained then finished with a bit of butter to smooth it out.
  • Deluca
    Thanks Boogie. What do you mean by "deglazed"? Sorry... I'm a rookie.
  • Boogie
    Boogie Posts: 137
    Just poor the wine in and move your spatula around to bring up the bits.