Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza on the egg

Options
mrhodes
mrhodes Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Do you make your own dough from scratch or buy from a pizza place?

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Both, either....up to you really.

I enjoy making my own dough and sauce, but you can make great pies with supplies from a supermarket or a pizzeria also.
  • mrhodes
    Options
    I used a dough from a can the other day.... not very pretty but I loved the smoky tasteQ
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Agreed, make, or buy fresh from market or pizzaria. If you have a stand mixer, make it. If not, buy it.
    Also, sauce is easy, but if you need a quick meal, Dei Fratelli pizza sauce (in a can) is really quite good.
  • mrhodes
    Options
    I know that some pizza joints have premade doughs made to size. Are these better and can you make back into a ball and "roll your own?"
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    mrhodes, Hope this helps. I get the dome temp at 500 degrees. I pre-cook my dough for about 3
    minutes on the stone in the pie shape. I remove add pizza sauce cheese and toppings and return to
    egg for about 10 minutes and check cook time depends on toppings. Don't season the stone
    don't use soap on it or add oil it will ruin it!
    GOod luck!!!!
    Posted by BabyBoomBBQ on January 25, 2007 at 12:13:32:

In Reply to: Pondering the Perfect Pizza Recipe posted by Pharmeggist on January 25, 2007 at
    01:27:44:

Pharmeggist,

Here's what I use. It took me years to get my pizza where I wanted it. I finally got a book,
    \"The Art or Pizza Making\" by Dominick DeAngelis that guided me to satisfaction. Now that I use the
    BGE, my pies hold their own with any pie from anywhere. I urge you to get a copy!

I use 2/3 partskim, low moisture mozzerlla and 1/3 belgioioso auricchio provolone. Belgioioso is the
    brand and auricchio provolone means aged provolone. For the 14\" pie below, I used 6.6 oz mozzarella
    and 3.3 oz of the provolone. This will give you the cheese flavor like a NY style pizza. I use a
    little parm at the table.

Pizza Dough:

Yield: one dough ball for a 14-inch pizza. Double for two, triple for three. When making multiple
    recipes, cut into equal portions prior to rising. Use weight to divide!

3/4 Cup Warm water (or warm flat beer, which I use.)
    4 Tsp. Sugar
    1 Tsp. Olive Oil (NOT Extra Virgin)
    1/2 tsp. Salt
    1 tsp. active dry yeast
    1 1/2 Cup High Gluten Flour
    1/2-Cup Semolina Flour

1) Measure flour and set aside.
    2) Measure other ingredients.
    3) Mix all ingredients except flour and mix until solids dissolved.
    4) Immediately, add liquid to mixer, turn on low and add flour.
    5) Knead for at least 10 minutes or until the gluten forms the baker’s window when you make a mini
    pizza and stretch it. Do not over knead!
    6) Form ball and place in a lightly oiled zip lock bag so that the ball is resting on the opening.
    7) Allow dough to rise for two hours.
    8) Pinch down gently, reform ball, return to bag and set in refrigerator for at least two hours or
    up to 24 - hours.
    9) Allow dough to reach room temperature before using.

BP’s Fire Roasted Pizza Sauce

3/4 Cup Crushed Fire Roasted Tomatoes, drained with fluid reserved (I use Muir Glen)
    1 Tbs. Unsalted Tomato Paste, NO ADDITIVES AT ALL
    1 Tbs. Reserved fluid from Crushed Tomatoes
    1 Tbs. Good quality Balsamic Vinegar
    1 Tbs. Good Quality Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
    ¾ tsp Fresh chopped Basil (or ¼ tsp dried)
    1 tsp sugar
    1 clove Fresh garlic, pressed
    ¼ tsp kosher salt
    Dash of fresh ground pepper.

Makes enough for a 14” pie and scales well.

Add about ¼ of the olive oil in a small non-stick frying pan. Over medium heat, slowly cook tomato
    paste until it gets a rich mahogany finish. You will see the color change when it starts to simmer.
    This is a key step! Caramelizing the paste gives the sauce that simmered for hours taste.

Next, Sauté garlic and basil in remaining oil over low-medium heat until garlic is browned. Add
    remaining ingredients and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes, stirring now and again. Remove from heat
    and cool to room temperature before putting on your dough. Don’t forget to use dough dressing or
    even this low moisture sauce can make your dough soggy. I use 2 Tbs. Olive Oil (note not extra
    virgin) ½ clove pressed Garlic and ½ tsp. sugar for each 14” red pie.
  • mrhodes
    Options
    thanks for the info, weather permitting, I will try this tomorrow.
  • UnConundrum
    Options
    I make my own... You can find the recipe HERE with step by step instructions and pictures.

592-neopolitan-pizza.png
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    The dough recipe is the one I use all the time now I am hooked on it :laugh: However, with a 2 year old and 1 year old and another baby due next week via C-section I have been buying Dei Fratelli pizza sauce Bente suggested to me sometime back. I used to buy it buy the case online but we got a Publix in town now that carries it! One other tip is to buy cheese by the block and grate it yourself it makes a huge difference in the quality of the pizza you produce. The pre-shredded cheese doesn't dry out fast because of the celluolose and other ingrediants they coat it with. You will notice a tremendous difference in the quality of pizza you make versus buying a commercial made pizza.
    Happy Egging, Pharmeggist
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Hey Mrhodes....not saying to buy pre formed crusts...saying...by it as a ball of dough. Still have to rise it, roll it, etc. No preformed crusts recommended here. Just ask for a ball of pizza dough. (That leaves the fun parts up to you!!) :woohoo: If they only have premaid crusts...NEXT! Move on. If you have a stand mixer, make your own! You can find a decent recipe on the back of the Fleishmans yeast package, or many more from the folks on this forum. Best of luck!!
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    I make my own. 3.5 cups bread flour, 1 cup 115F water, 1 tsp yeast, 1Tsp sugar, 1tsp salt. combine and knead in kitchen aid mixer for 20-25- minutes. put in a greased bowl and into the frige over night. I'll pull th dough out about 6 hours ahead of time and let it rise, punch it down, and let it rise again and then make pizzas. Good stuff

DSC_0004.jpg

3-7-08007.jpg
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Warren, that is just wrong, unbelievable! How is your son's training coming along? Marc
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • UnConundrum
    Options
    He did really well, but he had to head back to school this weekend. He graduates in May, so we'll get serious then :)
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Your post of last week inspired me to do an oldy but a goody, I hope to do it tomorrow, weather permitting, for the birds game, so take a peak - I'll post it around the time of the game...
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Tennisbum
    Tennisbum Posts: 228
    Options
    ok I will chime in here as I use the store bought pizza ready for your toppings. think it is bobbli or something like that. I coat it fairly good with olive oil and then the sauce then the toppings. We like a very crisp crust so it works for me. I suggest you try different ones until you hit upon your favorite. I will definitely try to make my own as soon as the wife lets me borrow her mixer..
    gp
  • Lab Rat
    Lab Rat Posts: 147
    Options
    Very nice recipe and great site! I really like the video on the bagette recipe.

I've bookmarked in my to do list!
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Really nice step by step with making your own pizza dough. The pictures are great, very thorough.