Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need garlic ideas

Options
2»

Comments

• reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    You're too funny Todd!! LOL!!!
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    NP - I do this occasionally. It's nice to have the butter all ready to go for whatever I may need it for. And by packaging it in 1/4 to 1/2 cup rolls, you don't have to thaw too much at one time.

Just don't use the same freezer organization system I use. As of tonight, I have over 70 days' worth of meals in there plus all my baking supplies. So sadly minimal Egging for a few weeks so we can go through all the Egged food leftovers.

Now, what to do with 15-20 lbs of Ghirardelli 60% bittersweet chocolate chips.....
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • reelgem
    Options
    Garlic ice cream???? Hmmmmm Don't know about trying that one. For some reason the two don't sound like a great marriage. I might try pickling some of it. Thanks!
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    B) Ahhh, Anne, I just knew you were a garlic lover based on those gorgeous shrimp scampi!! :woohoo:

bought a case of Gilroy garlic once... :whistle: wasn't at it's prime, either!

put some in EVOO in fridge; OK for about a month, then started turning brown, only good to cook with heat by then...

Pureed with EVOO and stored in snack sized Ziplocks, can use in numerous ways, PESTO being the best that comes from mixing with fresh Basil, come spring. Pesto also freezes well for up to a year.

Pureed with butter also a good base for many dishes.
    Often, oil and butter best combo...

Tried some garlic wine in Gilroy one year... :sick: even this garlic lover went "YUCK!"

Roasted and mixed with butter or EVOO another way to freeze.

Just place like garlic combos in individual snack bags and then in larger freezer bags....so handy!

Pesto can be made from cilantro, parsley, chives, any fresh herb, not just basil... :whistle:

Enjoy your beautiful gift! Kari
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    don't forget Ceasar salad dressing!
  • reelgem
    Options
    LOL!! Believe me I hear you on that one. OMG my freezer is so full of leftovers, it's ridiculous. I'll send you some garlic and maybe you can come up with a chocolate chip garlic recipe. :) That was just the strangest thing to get from a friend. 15-20lbs of chocolate chips.LOL
  • reelgem
    Options
    Kari!!! Haven't seen you on the forum in a few hours. :)
    Thanks for all the ideas. I will have to try all of them. With 10lbs of garlic I need lots of ideas and I hate to have it get wasted. I'm going to give my daughter some but she doesn't use it a whole lot.
    Garlic wine???? I'm a wine-o but that sounds horrible. Who would even think grapes and garlic would go good.
    Anyway thanks for your input. I got a lot of great ideas from this post. Should be able to use up a good portion of my GIFT???? :)
  • reelgem
    Options
    Great idea!! Need to find a low fat one, trying to eat a little more healthy. The holidays are over.
  • reelgem
    Options
    Good idea Todd!!!
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    My ideas and input.....
    First...roasted garlic butter
    Second....Garlic and herb butter
    Third...Scampi butter, etc, etc
    Fire roasted garlic and red pepper butter, etc, etc...
    Ideas only limited by imagination!
    Ideas are way too numerous to number..but you can ..create compound butters, roll like a sausage and store in the freezer. (No spoilage issues, and available on a whim!)
    Of course, while it is fresh, do the bread dip thing with GOOD EVOO and herbs...fresh hard crusted bread...wine...cheese. ;-)
    IN a home kitchen, you can not pasteurize properly to do a garlic infused oil....unless it is served fresh! Don't let it stand aroud more than one day!
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    brought back 5 really fresh purple Mexican garlic braids from Mexico to WYO many years ago--great bargain at $5 each....well, hung in garage, as was March.... :pinch: yow!! frozen fresh garlin in the garage makes Pepe Le Pew smell good :S
  • reelgem
    Options
    Great ideas!! That will keep me busy. Too bad because about the garlic infused oil. I really love a garlic/chile pepper infused olive oil.
  • reelgem
    Options
    That's tooooo funny!!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It can be used in sushi... "Stamina Maki"... it is good.
  • NoobEgger
    Options
    Gilroy Garlic, thats near my neck of the woods. I live bout 1 hour and 30 min from there
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Apparently this requires an anaerobic (oxygen free) environment AND temperatures above 50 deg F.

For all things garlic... http://www.TheGarlicStore.com

Garlic and Botulism

Garlic is promoted as a health food and it is good for you. But in certain environments it can turn deadly. According to the US Food and Drug Administration, certain garlic preparations can result in often fatal cases of botulism poisoning. The Clostridium Botulinum bacteria is present in most soils and therefore on most garlic and other root vegetables. It is easily killed by exposure to air and by cooking. The problem arises when fresh garlic is kept in oil (an air-free environment in which the anerobic bacteria can thrive) at room temperatures. Garlic and oil mixtures MUST be refrigerated and should use acidifying agents such as phosphoric or citric acid. For the complete text of the FDA warning, visit http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/NEW00120.html

News 04/17/1989
    Garlic in Oil Mixes

P89-20 Food and Drug Administration
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Chris W. Lecos (202) 245-1144

Because of a risk of botulism, the Food and Drug Administration today told
    companies to stop making any garlic-in-oil mixes which require refrigeration
    for safety. The agency also urged consumers to discard these and similar
    homemade products.
    To be safe, FDA said, garlic-in-oil products should contain additional
    ingredients -- specific levels of microbial inhibitors or acidifying agents
    such as phosphoric or citric acid. Most garlic products do contain these
    additives, as disclosed on their labels.
    But some food boutique or specialty mixes do not include the additives and
    need to be refrigerated from production through use. Manufacturers,
    repackers, food distributors and retailers who may handle these products are
    being notified by FDA that these products should be withdrawn.
    FDA Commissioner Frank E. Young, M.D., Ph.D., said, "FDA's concern is that
    many consumers and retailers may consider such products to be non-perishable
    develop botulism too, Dr. Young warned, advising that these home products
    "should be made fresh for each use and not left around at room temperatures."
    When two men and a woman from Kingston, N.Y., were hospitalized with
    botulism food poisoning after eating a commercial mix that had not been kept
    refrigerated, FDA at first issued a warning to consumers March 6 that
    improperly formulated products left at room temperature may develop deadly
    botulism toxin. But the agency reviewed these products' safety further and
    decided to eliminate the susceptible mixes. FDA said studies showed:
    -- Unrefrigerated garlic-in-oil mixes lacking antimicrobial agents can
    permit the growth of Clostridium botulinum bacteria with subsequent toxin
    production without affecting the taste and smell of the products.
    -- Toxin production can occur even when a small number of Clostridium
    botulinum spores are present in the garlic. When the spore-containing garlic
    is bottled and covered with oil, an oxygen-free environment is created that
    promotes the germination of spores and the growth of microorganisms at
    temperatures as low as 50 degrees Fahrenheit.
    Botulism is a potentially fatal food poisoning characterized by blurred or
    double vision, speech and breathing difficulty and progressive paralysis.
    Without prompt and correct treatment, one-third of those diagnosed may die.
    Clostridium botulinum bacteria are widespread in the environment, but their
    spores cause no harm when there is oxygen in the environment.
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    PICKEL IT. YOU EAT IT LIKE PICKLES FROM A JAR WITH YOUR DINNER IT IS EXTREMELY HEART HEALTHY. THAT EXPIRATION DATE WILL GO ABOUT 30 DAYS OUT FURTHER IF YOU KEEP THEM REFRIGERATED AND DON'T FINGER THE GARLIC OUT OF THE JAR, USE A SPOON, ETC.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Inksmyth
    Inksmyth Posts: 308
    Options
    Throw some on the coals when doing chicken.
  • Marc  from IL
    Options
    I use garlic daily and I love pickled garlic too, I always have a jar of pickled in the frig. YUM YUM
    Marc
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    :laugh: :blink: back in the olden days, my grandmother (help me out here, W) gave my grandfather a 20# bar of White Chocolate...he hacked it into 2" strips, from which she made....White Chocolate/Black Walnut Divinity, and gave all of us a BUNCH of candy...sure was rich and good.... B)