Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First pulled pork attempt

Options
alimog
alimog Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
About to start setting up for my first try...one question though. If I'm using woodchips instead of chunks (all I have available at the moment) should I layer them throughout the lump? (A layer of coal with chips on top, followed by another layer of coal, etc.) I've also seen people use the spiral pattern...is this better?

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Yes, you can just stir your wood chips into your lump, mix them up real good. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • alimog
    Options
    Ok...of course, now that all that is done, and I was getting ready to light the egg, it starts raining. I'm going to delay a bit...how long will a 9.5 lb. butt take to cook?
  • Todt
    Todt Posts: 46
    Options
    Cooking time will vary. Cook it at 250 f to an internal temp of 190 f. I would guess that it will take at least 8 hours and as many as 12 hours. You can always have it done early and wrap it in saran wrap and then aluminum foil and then put that in a small cooler for up to 5 hours. I actually prefer to do this when cooking pulled pork because it steams the meat and makes it oh soo tender. Good luck
  • Todt
    Options
    Internal temp needs to be 195-205 f to pull. Sorry for the mistake.
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    Typically you need to figure on 1.5-2hrs/lb when cooking a butt @ 250° dome temp. They can go faster or slower as every piece of meat is different. I would plan on it taking around 18 hrs and still give yourself a little wiggle room if planning to serve dinner at a certain time, if it happens to be done early then you can cooler it as stated already until you are ready to pull and serve. It should pull fine at any temp over 190°
  • Todt
    Options
    Thanks for the correction on the time. I am new to the egg, but it is my experience that a bge will cook faster than any conventional smoker. I have cooked many pork shoulders on a conventional type smoker at 250 f and rarely have to cook one longer than 12 hours to get it to the right temp to pull. Correct me if I'm wrong but 18 hrs seems like an eternity.
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Don't worry about the rain. Except for you personally, it won't affect a thing about your cook.
  • alimog
    Options
    Wound up with 4 inches of water in my patio thanks to a clogged drain...wish that weather.com hadn't told me the rain would be over by 8:15 when it lasted until 1am...idiots...
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    18 hrs is certainly possible and some on here have had them go MUCH longer :) most of my butts (6-9lbs) typically finish in the 13-16hr range. You can always kick up the dome temp to around 300° in the latter stages of the cook with no ill effects.