Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Heart Rate Monitor Watch

Options
Firestarter21
Firestarter21 Posts: 309
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone here use a heart rate monitor (watch) while working out? Our gym advertises the Polar brand and they seem to get good reviews on the net. Just figured I would ask the gang and see what others use and how they like it? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    I've got a Polar and no complaints. You'll need to figure out how many features you need or want. I like seeing how many calories I burn on the longer rides.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    I have a Polar (F11, I think) and been generally pleased. You do need to detach the sensor from the chest strap and clean/dry the contacts or they will corrode.
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    Options
    I also use the Polar watch. If your gym has somewhat updated equipment, such as treadmills and stair climbers, you will have no need for the watch. When I hook up the "thingy" to my chest, it will read on the machine I'm using.
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    I have a Polar Heart Rate Monitor for years and have been very happy with it. I would highly recommend it.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I've had a few Polar models since the early 1990's. I mostly used them for my triathlon workouts. The one I have now is the basic cheap one and I use it for everything except martial arts (wristband unsafe for sparring and punching the heavy bag resets the unit). I love them because they give you more objective information about your workout intensity.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    I have both a Polar CS 300 that I have had for years. I use it for biking, swiming and at the gym. I only recently sent it back to Polar for a new battery for the watch and chest strap (it needed to be replace) cost was reasonable and they were quick in getting it back to me. My only complaint is downloading workouts. Other then that I would give it an A+.

I also have a garmin forerunner 205. I it is also a HR monitor but it tracks distance as it has a GPS in it. I like that one also.
  • Polar is ok but I prefer Omron because the Polar chest monitor has a battery you can't replace and this annoyed the hell outta me. The Omron is replaceable, and gets my vote.

OMRON MONITOR REVIEWS
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    You can replace the battery in the ones they sell today. It is the watch at least on my cs 300 that I needed to send back for replacement.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    OK silly question, do any of these wrist strap models replace the chest strap model that comes with treadmills? I've never researched it but this thread got me thinking.

I use the hand grips because I just hate the feel of the strap around my chest.

FWIW I have a Precor 9.33. Any suggestions?
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    I've heard they are good. I actually use a garmin 305 that has the heart monitor with it. I really like it.
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    We have a Lifetime Fitness that is less than a year old, all their machines seem brand new, but I just don't feel good about the numbers they put off. Also, their classes are big about staying in different "zones" for interval training and we don't always have machines that show HR, so we thought it would be a good time to invest in a pair of watches. Thanks for the info.
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    Not sure Rod, I have some research to do tho. I figured I would get over the annoyance of having something strapped to me. Haven't worn one yet tho, hopefully I can get into the chest strap, but I will look at the wrist strap option. I never feel like the HR on machines that you hold is accurate for my body. They will show crazy high and low spikes, this has happened for years...
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies. These will definitely be helpful as I read up further on all the different models and brands.
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    Well.... I believe Polar does make a sports bra with a built-in sensor, which would eliminate the need for a chest strap ;)
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    Good looking out Michelle ;) . I will keep that option in mind for my GF :)
  • the band around the chest--the transmitter has a sealed (or had) on the Polar and the battery in the watch is replaceable. So you have to replace the band part even if the watch battery can be replaced. There are 2 batteries--one in transmitter and one in receiver (watch.) So the Omron is better in that regard. My old Polar has a useless transmitter band as a result. Sealed.