Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adjustable Rig Question

Options
Iowa State Egger
Iowa State Egger Posts: 337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife gave me the adjustable rig for Christmas. I have used it several times aleady doing a direct cooks, but as I prepared to do an indirect cook it appears that it will not fit. With the plate setter legs up the lid won't close. Do I need to remove the fire ring? Any help would be great. It might be operator error because I didn't try too hard to make it fit.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Egg And I
    Egg And I Posts: 110
    Options
    I don't think the adjustable rig is compatible with the plate setter. Here's a link to tjv's "how to" page for indirect cooks...there are several options depending on what components came with your rig.

Since getting the rig, spider, and sliding shelves, about the only thing I use the platesetter for is pizza.
  • Iowa State Egger
    Options
    Bill -

Thanks a lot for the link. My wife also got me the spider and said that it is used with the rig. I couldn't figure out how they worked together until I read the link.

Have you used this set up before, and if so what are the pluses or minuses in your opinion.

Thanks again
  • Egg And I
    Egg And I Posts: 110
    Options
    I've got the rig w/ spider and the sliding grid system. I've pretty much retired the platesetter; only use it to support a pizza stone. Read through tjv's site...there is a lot of info on the various setups...it's a really versatile system.

The oval grids are plated, not stainless, which is a step down in quality from the rest of the system, but I think they're on Tom's list to fabricate. His stainless replacement main grid for the BGE porcelain coated stock one, otoh, is a big improvement in durability.

It's a great system, takes some time and experimenting to find out how to get the most out of it.