Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vegetarian ABT's/Real ABT's

Options
Bluecrab3
Bluecrab3 Posts: 328
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My first run of ABT's went over well yesterday. None were left at the New Year's gathering, and the DP Red Eye Express was absolutely fantastic. The one wrapped up in the picture was a vegetarian ABT I made for someone when I found out an invitee didn't enjoy the finer things in life (hog, cow, and poultry).

Made the veggie ABT with cream cheese, dusted it with Red Eye Express, put 2 salted pecans on it and tied two halfs together with twine. For the last 15 mins of my real ABT's, I wrapped the veggie one up. She loved it for all it is worth, and the carnivores destroyed the real ABT's. Thanks to all for the tips!

IMG_0822.jpg

Comments

• Essex County
    Options
    I've had this same challenge. How do you make a vegetarian ABT? I like the idea of pecans. I've stuffed them with cream cheese, a bean mixture and wrapped them with long strips of carrot I cooked until soft. I brushed them with oil and rolled them in Dizzy Dust. It took longer to make 6 of these than 60 of the regular ones. After all that, I don't think my one vegetarian guest liked them all that much. I thought they were pretty good. Anyone else out there taken a shot at veggie ABTs?
    Paul
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    I've never been fond of balled up aluminum foil. Maybe the guest liked it better B)
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Cream cheese is a milk product, so it depends how strict they are. I say you just give them a whole pepper that has been roated. That way you are sure it is 100% vege!
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Hmmmm.How about a won ton ABT? Chopped bok choy,water chestnuts, green onion,a little rice with a little bit of soy based barbecue sauce spread on? Might just have to try this myself. Keep you all posted.Not sure on the outer coating if any.What do you think?
  • Bluecrab3
    Bluecrab3 Posts: 328
    Options
    What I did for the veggie one, was to cook it on the grill extender-unwrapped for the first 45 minutes. When I flipped my bacon-wrapped ABT's, I foiled the veggie one b/c it seemed ready to go. Next time, I will combine rub, crushed pecans, and cream cheese together and put it in the jalapeno.
  • Lab Rat
    Lab Rat Posts: 147
    Options
    You might want to try some pineapple with the cream cheese and pecans.