Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Normax gasket

Options
mcpolcat
mcpolcat Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need to replace my gasket and read about the Normax Gasket. Can someone give me info on replacing with this matertial and where I can purchase it.
Thanks!

Comments

• FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    Options
    I replaced my gaskets on my large and medium about 2 or 3 months ago. I just contacted BGE headquarters spoke with Bruce (bruce@biggreenegg.com), told him my original gaskets got burned up shortly after buying the eggs.

He shipped them to me right away, along with easy instructions on how to remove and then re-apply the new gasket. Excellent customer service!

Hope it works as well for you!

fc
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    You can purchase it from BGE...don't know if it's trickled down to the dealers yet or not..if you do contact them ask for "Nomex" as I don't believe there is such a product called normax...
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    You're one of the lucky ones to get through to BGE. We tried on Sat. left a msg. in the morning....no call back. Called again later in the day, got someone and he said they're really busy and would call back. Never did. Called again yesterday, had to leave a msg. again, still haven't heard from them. I don't know if this just happens to us but their customer service or should I say lack of it is frustrating.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    One place. BGE mothership. BTW - It's Nomex.

Little info from my eggsperience

> Went through two felt gaskets early on my XL
    > Went to the Nomex about a year ago
    > The only issue I had with the Nomex is the adhesive that came with it
    > Failed during first cook after installing the Nomex
    > Removed the original adhesive and installed the Nomex with 3M 77
    > Mask off any area you don't want overspray on when installing the Nomex
    > Don't stretch the gasket when you are installing
    > Make sure the gasket is flush with the ID of the base and dome
    > How do I like the Nomex? I'm over the moon with it
    > The felt gaskets on my small and Mini are fine - if/when I fry it, I'll replace with Nomex
    > You will have extra Nomex left over - glue left over around the ID of your ceramic top and it will seal tight when you shut down

Couple Pics

Masking is good
    101_2459640x480.jpg

Hopefully you won't have this problem
    101_2478640x480.jpg
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    Options
    Frank, you make some very good points....and I'm sorry to hear about reelgem's experience. The new nomex gaskets ship without adhesive; you'll need to buy a can of 3M Super 77. Like Frank said, masking is important; unfortunately, I found that out the hard way and made a mess of my table.

FWIW, I never called BGE, just emailed and heard back quickly from Bruce (bruce@biggreenegg.com).

fc
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    When I received mine it had the adhesive. Its mo betta that they ship w/o. Glad they made that change - good process improvement.
  • davewolfs
    Options
    Can't the gasket be sprayed directly with the adhesive? This way you avoid having to mask the egg.