Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Chicken Questions?

Options
Eggspert
Eggspert Posts: 142
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am cooking my first spatchcock on New years and I need a little advice. I have the plate setter and don't own fire bricks. Will the SC turn out okay if i cook on indirect with plate setter legs up with a drip pan on a V rack at 350? Any thougths? Suggestions please.

Comments

• When I spatchcock a chicken I just cook it direct.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    You can cook it direct or put in the platesetter, legs up, drip pan on the platesetter, the put on the grid, and lay the bird flat on the grid over the drip pan, skin up. Cook at 400* for about an houtr until the breasts register 160-165 and the thighs are 180+.

No need for a v-rack.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    go direct, raised grid if you can, 450 or so
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    I always do fowl indirect.......too many nasties given off by the fat dripping on the coals. As Fidel said, though, place chicken directly on the grid.
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Go buy 3 fire brick splits or three stainless bolts and raise the grid to the level of the lip or just above. Then cook direct at 400.
  • Eggspert
    Eggspert Posts: 142
    Options
    Where can i get fire bricks?
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Lowe's, Home Depot, a fireplace store or a block and brick yard.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    This is such an easy and forgiving cook it is unbelievable.

Direct or indirect. There will be drippings onto the lump if you go direct, some folks like that and some don't. You will need to decide which you like.

If you have a plate setter go indirect. Plate setter legs up. Use a drip pan or some foil shaped into a pan of sorts - anything to catch the drippings.

Stabilize the egg anywhere from 400° to 475°. Season the bird, and put it on the grid on top of the plate setter.

It will take from about 45 min. to 1 hr for the bird to reach 165° in the brest. If I recall right fishlessman just cooks until the juices run clear.

I don't find any need to rotate or turn when I do the cook.

You can cook a whole chicken the same way. Either will work great.

If you get the desire put a pan of potatoes & onions under the bird. Let the drippings fall into the pan. Check the potatoes for softness, they will be done in about 40 to 50 minutes. Pull the veggies and cover with cheese and tent with foil until the bird is done.

The potatoes will be as good as the chicken, if not better.

chickspud1.jpg

chickspud5.jpg

GG