Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Marvelous Meat Loaf

Options
jeffinsgf
jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I love good meat loaf. That means I'm often disappointed, because good meat loaf can often be the exception rather than the rule. Mom makes great meat loaf, my wife struggles a little bit, with an almost equal number of successes and failures. I don't think I've ever eaten meat loaf in a restaurant that I considered "good", though I keep trying. Today I decided to roll the dice and try it myself. I went to one of my "go to" cook books to see what they had. Jamison & Jamison's "Smoke and Spice" is just a great book for anyone cooking outdoors. Their recipes adapt to the Egg well in just about every case, though the Mothership really needs to give this author couple an Egg to get them on the path to righteousness. Their recipe is called "Ain't Momma's Meat Loaf", which I have just added, with my Egg modifications, to the Cookbook.

Their unique twist is to turn the meat loaf out of the pan about a third of the way through the cook, avoiding a greasy finish and allowing more uniform smoke penetration. It worked as advertised and to my great satisfaction.

Here's a couple of pics.

meatloaffini.jpg

meatloafslice.jpg

Comments