Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Long do you wait???

Options
bosco6672
bosco6672 Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got my egg for xmas and I am not sure about how long to wait after I put wood chunks on the charcoal to put the food on? I am smoking a whole chicken and wasn't sure if I should wait for a certain period of time before putting the chicken on? Thanks for your help...

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    just wait until the heavy thick smoke lets up some...

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    It's a personal preference, but I wait just a couple of minutes before putting the food on after the wood. Chicken soaks it up pretty well so if you don't like a heavy smoke flavor, you might want to wait for a bit.
  • Hardwood
    Options
    Watch the smoke that is coming out of the daisy wheel. It will start out blue and then begin to burn clear. The smell will also change from somewhat of a pungent smell to a more palatable smell of clean burning wood.

Checkout the naked whiz web site I thought he had a pictorial showing this phenomenon but I can’t find it now. I usually wait about 45 minutes with a new load of lump and then try not adding new lump for the next few cooks. That obviously depends on what you are cooking.

I learned a very valuable lesson this past year cooking next to AZRP. After a good hour and half I still had a fresh load of lump smoking like crazy. I was waiting to cook when AZRP stated that I was probably good to go and that the lump was just wet. While the load of lump was still smoking pretty good the smoke smelled good and was okay to cook with.

Light some fresh lump and check the difference of smell and color after 45 minutes. Enjoy, your going to have a great time.
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    Hardwood,
    I think that he is asking more about his wood chunks than his lump.
  • Hardwood
    Options
    Sorry about that. Thanks for pointing out the error of my ways. Happy Egging,
  • bosco6672
    Options
    Thanks for the insight. I just put the Pecan chunks on the charcoal after about 20 minutes and put the chicken on. We'll see how it turns out!