Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Scallop Recommendation?

Options
Cornbread Willy
Cornbread Willy Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy all - I mortgaged the farm to buy a few lobsters for tonight. Going to try hounddog's "dwell in the shell" technique with some slight modifications suggested by others - thanks for those. The sea scallops looked too good to pass up so I bought about a lb (10 ct.) as well for an appetizer/side dish. Any recommendations on recipe/egging technique? I'd probably like to stay away from bacon-wrapped this time due to wifely preference. Thanks!

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Cornbread Willy:[p]I would season with Old Bay or similar and grill them.
    [/b]
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Cornbread Willy, just one small correction. "Dwell in the Shell" was submitted - I do believe, if wrong I apologize - by "houndog" not "hounddog". Though similar in name, they are two different individuals.[p]One idea that I have been toying with (but have not tried) is placing a scallop inside a mushroom cap filled with cheese. I'm a little worried about the mushroom not cooking as fast as the scallop but natural human curiosity demands that I find out. However, human knowledge says that since it's Valentine's Day it might not be the time for you to try it. As djm5x9 says, they're pretty good just grilled with a little rub on them. DOn't cook too long or they'll get tough. Good luck.

• BluesnBBQ
    Options
    I like to marinade them briefly (no more than 30 minutes) in fresh lime juice, chopped garlic, olive oil, sea salt and black pepper. Then I put them on skewers and grill them for a few minutes. They're really good this way.
  • djm5x9
    Options
    Bill:[p]How 'bout this . . . At higher temperatures: Shroom first on the grill. Then a fast sear on the grill for the bay scallops - one or two minutes - and remove from grill. Quickly add cheese to the shrooms and then add the scallops on top of the cheese. Close the vents as if for a low and slow to reduce the temperature and bake till done. Something like that . . .
    [/b]
  • Wise One
    Options
    djm5x9, hey we may have a winner. I'll give it a go the first opportunity I have.

• Cornbread Willy
    Options
    djm5x9,
    I like my mushrooms a little al dente anyway. Might be kind of good to add a little pre-sauteed spinach and shallots on top of the scallop before applying cheese. Sort of like a mushroom-scallops-rockefeller or something. Worth trying (but probably not tonight).[p]Thanks everybody!

• djm5x9
    Options
    Cornbread Willy:[p]I like the way you think, thanks for the suggestion!
    [/b]
  • Wise One
    Options
    Cornbread Willy, a true forum recipe! This is great.

• Love Handles
    Options
    Cornbread Willy,
    I'm going to make some tonight also. I'm going to wrap them in bacon, but slice the bacon length wise so as not to overpower the scallops. I'm also going to wrap them with some whole canned ortega chiles and the bacon together and sprinkle with old bay seasoning. See-Yaa

• Cornbread Willy,[p]This may be too rich to go with lobster, but it IS sensuous![p]Lee[p]Baked Scallops[p]
    20 Ritz crackers
    black pepper to taste
    1 pound sea scallops, rinsed and drained
    1/2 cup butter, melted
    1-2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/4 cup dry white wine
    1/2 lemon, juiced
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
    [p]Directions

1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease an 8x8 inch baking dish. [p]2 Sprinkle scallops with pepper. Place crushed Ritz crackers in a small bowl. Press scallops into crackers so that they are evenly coated, and place them in the greased baking dish. [p]3 In a separate bowl, mix together melted butter, garlic, wine and lemon juice; drizzle mixture over scallops. [p]4 Bake in preheated oven until scallops are lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Garnish with chopped parsley.
    [p]

• LasVegasMac
    Options
    QSis,
    Doing steak and shrimp on the Egg tonight - at the wife's request, no less.[p]I'm going to the store right now - have to try your scallop reciepe. The wife does not care for them but I sure do!!!![p]LVM

• Vogs
    Vogs Posts: 41
    Options
    Cornbread Willy,[p] Also doing scallops tonight. Following a recipe for Parmesain breaded scallops from one of Webers cookbooks.
    Coat scallops with olive oil, then coat with bread crumbs, parmesian cheese, salt & pepper mixture. Let sit for 30 minutes in frig then grill. Planning on 3-4 minutes a side at about 400 deg.[p]Vogs

• LasVegasMac,[p]Just to be clear, similar "Baked Scallop" recipes are all over the net. This particular one was called "Dinah's Baked Scallops", before I substituted fresh garlic for garlic powder and put the Ritz brand name to the crackers.[p]I'm sure you'll enjoy it![p]Lee