Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chuck pot roast question

Options
East Bay Al
East Bay Al Posts: 101
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a 3lb boneless chuck pot roast thawing. It is the 2nd of a pair I bought a month back. Very little marbling. The first one I did Grandpa Grubs recipe, but the meat shrank up and was dry- never did get tender. (Had great luck previously with fattier meat)
Any ideas on what to do with this one? I tried to find 3rd Eyes pulled chuck recipe, but couldn't.
Any help is welcome.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I like to dredge in s/p flour and sear in the DO pot on the stove in some evoo. Once done either leave on stove or place in BGE indirect with an air space under DO at 350.

Place liquid : beef boullion some beer or chicken broth mixture and then add garlic, seasoning, onions, celery, carrots, mushrooms and anything you like. Sometimes I add a can of Rotel original or a can of crushed tomatoes.

Cook 350F 3-4 hours top off first couple of hours and the last hour add some potatoes cubed about an hour before finishing. Add a couple of chunks of your favorite wood. I like maple or apple for beef. Sometimes coffee grounds used in a foil pack with holes.iMany variables.

Here is another nice recipe.

Beef, Roast, Chuck, Pot, BlueSmoke

INGREDIENTS:
    1 boneless chuck roast (3 to 4 pounds)
    Salt and pepper
    2 Tbs oil
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 carrot, chopped
    1 rib celery, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 tsp sugar
    1 Can Chicken stock
    1 can beef stock
    1/2 tsp ground thyme
    1 to 1 1/2 cups water
    1 lb carrots, in 1/2 inch slices
    1 lb parsnips, in 1/2 inch slices
    1 lb small red potatoes, halved if larger than 1 1/2 inch diameter
    1/4 cup red wine for gravy

Procedure:
    1 Bring Egg to 600 degrees.
    2 Season both sides of roast with salt and pepper. Place on grill 3 minutes per side; remove to a plate to collect any drippings. Place Dutch oven on grill and shut down Egg to lower temperature to 300 degrees.
    3 When dome temperature approaches 300 degrees, open vents to maintain that temperature. Add oil, onion, carrot and celery to Dutch oven; stir occasionally until vegetables begin to brown (6 to 8 minutes). Add garlic and sugar.
    4 Add chicken and beef stocks and thyme. Return roast and collected juices to Dutch oven, adding sufficient water to come halfway up the sides of the roast. Place a sheet of foil over the Dutch oven before covering with lid. (This forms a tighter seal to trap the cooking juices.) Turn every 30 to 40 minutes, until meat is tender, about 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
    5 minutes before roast is done, add carrots, parsnips and potatoes, submerging them in cooking liquid.
    6 Remove roast and vegetables to serving pieces, tenting meat with foil to keep warm.
    7 If making gravy, uncover Dutch oven and add red wine. Stir to loosen any bits that are stuck to the bottom. Open vents full and cook uncovered until reduced to about 1 1/2 cups. (6 to 8 minutes)

Recipe Type
    Dutch Oven, Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: Ken Stone

Source: BGE Forum, BlueSmoke, 2006/02/02

Based on a recipe in Cook’s Illustrated

po
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Cook's Illustrated recommends getting the roast temperature to 210 degrees, then cooking an additional hour......they basically said you can not overcook it. I made their French pot roast twice recently and it was delicious and fall apart tender.

If you are at a high altitude, you might not achieve that temp......perhaps Grandpa Grubs might know better since he is in Utah.

eenie meenie