Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless Prime Rib - need a recipe

Options
Luvs to shoot clay
Luvs to shoot clay Posts: 774
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm home for Christmas this year so I get to cook for a friend's party on 12/23. I am thinking I will cook a big prime rib. I haven't cooked many of these but this is what I am thinking I want. Something with a crusty spicy crust, pecan smoked. Does any one have a really great recipe? I cooked a "Drunken Tender Loin" the last time and it was great. I need something to top that.

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    I haven't cooked it but Mad Max's recipe sounds interesting. Everything else he cooks is good.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxprimerib.htm

Sounds like you will have a very happy holiday.

Spring "Primed And Beefed Up" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    Thanks Leroy. Bad thing is that I can't open the link from here for some reason, will have to save it till next week. I appreciate it.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    LeRoy

Max is just learning to cook Pearl hot dogs! Wait till he posts his recipe for them on the Whiz' site!
  • irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Options
    The important thing is to have well hung beef.
    I get my butcher to hang ribs of beef for me for up to 6 weeks if I know in advance I am going to do a party or event. If you know a good butcher go in today, and ask him to keep the oldest piece of rib he has for you for another 2 weeks.
    When you get the beef home slather it in english mustard and then sprinkle with coarsely crushed mixed pepper corns and a little coarse salt. Dont put on much salt at the start because it draws out the juices from the meat as it cooks.
    When the meat is nearly cooked to your liking then sprinkle generously with some more salt and some grated fresh horseradish.
    I like to cook Yorkshire Puddings to serve with the beef, and also a good gravy.
    I make beef gravy by roasting beef marrow bones in a tray for an hour. Remove the bones and use to make a beef stock.
    Add flour to the fat in the roasting pan and cook it until it is starting to brown. Add some red wine and the beef stock and cook until it reaches the consistency you like. Stir all the time while you add the liquid so that the gravy doesnt get lumpy.
    Serve a yorkshire pudding on each plate with the beef and fill the centre of each pudding with the gravy.
    This is one dish the english really got right, Roast Beef, Yorkshire Pudding and gravy, beautiful.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    That won't help me none because they are a Boston area product and they don't sell on-line. Even if they did I'm sure the cost of getting some to Texas would far outweigh the need for them.

But from what all you New Englanders say about them, they must be pretty hot-doggoned good.

Spring "The O S C A R M E Y E R Of Texas Weiners" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I have tried thrideye's method http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/beef-standing-rib-roast-prime-rib.html

The roast looked so nice I didn't do the sear on this cook. Next time I will do the end sear.

primerib.jpg

primeribcut.jpg

GG