Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Arrival!

Bubblehead
Bubblehead Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Accepted delivery of Medium Egg with AutoLock and Dual Top at noon today. The hardest thing was leaveing it to go back to work. Won't be able to play until tonight. Got a couple of marinatied pork tenderloins to cook tonight but is there anything I have to do to "break" the egg in or can I just start cookin'?

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Bubblehead, No breakin required..just start cooking. The older the cooker, the blacker the interior, the better it works. Chicken is a good choice, rib's direct, a pork loin is super..just ask..help is a keystroke away, and welcome to the BGE owners assistance club. (or anyone else that comes our way)
    C~W[p]

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Bubblehead,[p]No break in period required, just fire it up and cook sumptin'. Good luck, feel free to holler here if we can be any help at all. Welcome and good luck.[p]Troy
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Bubblehead,
    The first day I got my egg I did some game hens on it. Just some salt and pepper and a little cayenne. 300F for about an hour and 45 minutes. My brother-in-law and his wife were in town from Minneapolis. It wasn't too long before they had an egg of their own.
    JimW

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Bubblehead,
    Congrats on your purchase, and welcome to the family. No break-in required. Pork Tenderloins do nicely at 350 direct, rotating every 10-15 minutes or so, until polder reads 145-150. It will be fork tender. Fill up the firebox, and let 'er rip. What method will you use to start your fire??[p]If you have any other questions on firing humpty up, or any other questions, just yell! I can feel your excitement now.[p]Have fun. No turning back now.[p]Nature Boy

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy,[p]Thanks for the info, I bought a electic starter with the egg and will try that first, got to learn a fast start to appease the gas grill loving wife. She likes to start the grill slap on the meat and go. I'll try the pork loins as you suggested and let you know out it turns out. Charge![p]Awhoogahh

• Thanks for your comments, its quitting time, and time to go play with my new toy! [p]Awhoogahh

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Bubblehead,
    You are in for some fine eating. Once your fire is going, and you get to about 300-325, close the bottom vent to about 1 inch, put the daisy on wide open, and it will work its way to 350 soon after. Make minor adjustments to the vents to maintain your temp. [p]The big rule is not to let it get too hot as it is much harder to bring temps down, than up.[p]Have fun!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Bubblehead,[p]Hello, Welcome and Glad to have you on board. Let the forum know if you have questions and you will not have to wait long for an answer here. Many fine cooks out there just waiting to help get you started in Egg cooking. Please feel free to visit the link below for some photos of Egg cooking and some helpful tips and tricks. Let us know if you have questions.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]---Tim's BGE cookbook----[/ul]
  • Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Bubblehead,
    No break-in period required. Take those loins and have at 'em! I think Char-Woody gave you some good ideas and so did some others. There are a multitude of ways, methods and things you can do on the Egg! It will continue to amaze you for months to come![p]Welcome to the forum, and hollar back when you need help or ideas. Plenty of good people here to help![p]Dr. Chicken