Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

No knead bread question

Options
BigGreenTree
BigGreenTree Posts: 41
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm a huge fan of the Cook's Illustrated take on no-knead bread (knead it a bit -- genius!).

I've done this several times in the oven with a dutch oven with really fantastic results. I'm curious about trying it on the egg for Thanksgiving.

Here's my question: Can (should?) I bake it on the egg without using the dutch oven? Is there any benefit to doing it this way? Is there any benefit to doing it on the egg IN the dutch oven vs. in the house? (Aside from being cool.)

Thanks!

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    You probably could bake the bread without a dutch oven if it's a fairly stiff dough.

I prefer using my Dutch Ovens in my eggs because the heat surrounding my Dutch Oven is a lot more consistent then you oven.
  • BigGreenTree
    Options
    Is there any flavor benefit with that method, on the egg? I guess I'm trying to weight the benefit of baking on the egg vs. the simplicity of the indoor oven (at least for Thanksgiving.)

You make a good point about the dough stiffness -- the no-knead recipe is typically a bit floppy (the kneading helps, but it might spread too much without the support.)
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    I assume you have never had bread from a wood fired oven. It is just better.

Leave the lid off the dutch oven.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    I mix up the no-knead, let it sit and think for about 18 hours. By then, it is "stiff" enough to put into the oven on the pizza stone... [raised a bit above the plate setter].

I use parchment paper, set the bowl of dough seam-side-down, an' let 'er rip in the Small @400F.

Alternative -- which is scrumptious... I have a fired ceramic loaf pan [with lid]. Heat that puppy up to 400F, and plop the dough inside. No grease of any kind -- no parchment paper. The heat builds a great crust and prevents the dough from sticking.

Good Luck!

~ B
  • low tech redneck
    Options
    I just use parchment paper on top of the pizza stone on the plate setter,legs down.I mix in a couple of generous pinches of dried basil leaves and it is just great.I think the recipe I started witg called for 500F but I get better results at 400.
    Good luck
    Jim