Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reheating pulled pork in crock pot (without Coke)

Options
Chris
Chris Posts: 117
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am doing pulled pork for a party of 20 people or so in January. I experimented this weekend with reheating in a crock pot using Coke, which I thought worked very well and I could not taste the Coke (the wife disagreed). I shouldn't have told her what I was doing.

Anyway...wondering if anyone has experience with using Apple Juice, Vinegar, etc when reheating in a crock pot?

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Use some BBQ sauce thinned with water or apple juice.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    I can go one farther, or further.....anyway, here is a link to my "Reheating Liquids" page where I posted the results from a poll of what folks use for reheating barbecued meats. Some responses were quite unique.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1997/01/reheating-liquids-for-barbecue.html
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,818
    Options
    i dont like all coke, i mix it 50/50 with low sodium chicken broth. you can just water down the sauce your serving it with with water, applejuice, vinegar etc, it will be fine
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Chris
    Options
    Do you taste any of the apple juice/cider/vinegar? I want it to taste as close to right off the Egg as possible.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i think the watered down coke method is best to keep the origional flavor, too much coke makes it taste sweet to me. i inject or mix in a vinegar sauce during the last few hours of the cook or when pulling so mine tastes a little like vinegar sauce, then i serve a sweeter sauce on the side
    fukahwee maine

• Chris
    Options
    Yeah...I think I put too much Coke. It did sweeten it up a bit, which was my wife's complaint. Maybe I will just go with an Apple Juice/Vinegar combo...or just use less Coke next time.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    what works better for me is vacuum sealed with just a little coke and broth reheating in boiling water, then added to the crock pot. this way only a couple tbls of coke per batch to keep it moist
    fukahwee maine

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    If the pork is vacuum sealed shortly after being pulled, I just reheat by putting the bags in simmering water. I haven't found the need for any liquid and it tastes and smells like it just came off the Egg. -RP
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i dont think there is a better method than vacuum seal and boiling water, you serve only what you need and add when it runs low. just wish there was a way to get the crunchy bark added back in.
    fukahwee maine

• Chris
    Options
    I would be serving it the same day I pulled it. I just wanted to be able to serve it warm. It seems to cool off by the time I finish pulling all of it.

What if I just put it in aluminum trays, covered with foil in a warm oven until ready to serve? Maybe covering with foil will keep it moist enough in the oven?
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I have left it folied and wrapped in towels and in the ice chest for up to 5 hours before I pulled the pork. It was still very hot and juicy. How long do you need to hold it before pulling it? You may not have to heat it back up.
  • Chris
    Options
    Probably hold it 3-4 hrs. I just didn't want to have to pull it when everyone was there. Although...that would be impressive to many! I was thinking of pulling it 1-2 hrs before everyone arrived. Now I am thinking it would be fine in the oven (covered in foil for a couple hrs?)
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i always get a guest to do it :laugh: there is always a volunteer
    fukahwee maine

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Chris,

When the pork reaches 190-200 internal temp pull it off the BGE. Double wrap it in heavy duty aluminum foil. Then wrap it in 2 towels and put it in the ice chest. Close the ice chest and do not open until ready to pull the pork once your guest arrive. it can stay this way for up to 5 hours.

Then unwrap the pork and using gloves (for sanitary conditions) and a fork or bear claws pull the steaming hot pork apart right in front of the guests. They will love it and rave about it, I promise...have fresh buns, cole slaw and several different choices of sauces for your guests....they will love you....
  • Chris
    Options
    Yeah....It is nice to get the "ooohs and Aaaahs"! I just don't like to be working on the dinner when the guests arrive.
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    chicken broth is neutral and will not change the flavor of the meat.