Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Microcontroller controlled temperature

Fairalbion
Fairalbion Posts: 141
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone attempted constructing a microcontroller/servo motor-based system to control airflow to the BGE and thereby regulate its temperature? This would be a real boon to the overnight low 'n' slow community.[p]Has any heard of such a thing? Regards.
--
Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Fairalbion:[p]There is a guy that rigged the lower vent of a BGE to open and close with a control system that utilizes a screw gun. Maybe someine can post the link . . .
  • CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Fairalbion, I to have seen the pictures of the computer controlled bottom damper using a power screwdriver. But why? After doing a number ov overnight cooks on my BGE I have found that the temp generally holds just fine overnight; usually I only need to make adjustments when the fuel starts to run low late into the cook. [p]Anyway, wouldn't you just be getting up in the night to make sure that your automatic damper system was actually working properly? LOL It's our nature.

• Fairalbion,
    I am in the process of building a prototype unit that utilizes a temperature probe in the dome with a fan in the bottom vent, wired via a pot......you dial in a temp, when the temp drops below your dialed in set point, the fan kicks in, adding oxygen to the lump. Once the temp goes back up above the set point, the fan kicks off. It's kind of a "Gee I wonder if I can do that" kinda project.[p]I'll keep ya'll posted...[p]Jeff

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Fairalbion,
    there is a microprosesor version of the pitt minder on the drawing board, well we have a working prototype. operates a small fan to control temp

• JonLadd
    JonLadd Posts: 18
    djm5x9,
    Here's The Link

[ul][li]RIBS[/ul]
  • tipc1
    tipc1 Posts: 20
    Fairalbion,
    A couple of years ago there was a guy, don't remember who,
    he posted some pics of his setup. As I remember, ihe used a cordless screwdriver which was chucked to a piece of all-thread which was in turn connected to the sliding vent door.
    He wrote a program which monitored the Egg temp. The computer controlled the cordless screwdriver also. If the temp dropped, the cordless driver opened the vent.
    He could check on his egg at home from his office...pretty sweet.