Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Topless D.O. Pot Roast question

Options
BigBlueEgg
BigBlueEgg Posts: 43
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just about froze today working outside and decided late in the evening to do the Topless Pot Roast on the D.O./BGE. Should be complete by midnight but don't plan on eating tonight. What is the best way to let cool and store over night and to reheat tomorrow?

I find that lots of soups, stews, etc are better the next day so that's what I'm shooting for.

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    How heavy of a roast is it, and do you have potatoes and veggies on board?
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • BigBlueEgg
    Options
    3lb roast. Taters, onions, carrots.
  • thirdeye
    Options
    Okay, that's easy.....Get a good size heavy metal roasting pan or stock pot. Put a zipper bag of ice in it and put the whole thing into the freezer.

Later when your Dutch oven comes off the egg, let it cool for a while on the counter, then transfer the roast along with the goodies and broth into the chilled container (the ice goes back into the ice bin) and put into the beer fridge uncovered. the chilled container gives everything a good head start on cooling down. Leaving it uncovered won't allow condensation to form. In the morning, go ahead and cover it. When you get ready to reheat, you will notice that the fats have risen to the top of the broth and can be easily removed.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Interesting, thanks for the tip.

GG
  • thirdeye
    Options
    The ideal situation is to use a beer fridge because normally there are no (or less) perishable things in it.

Getting a head start on cooling anything to be refrigerated is important, and even when using a pre-chilled pan there will be a slight dip in the temperature of the refrigerator, which is not good for perishable things.

When I do my briskets or ribs for reheating the next or second day, I wrap in foil as usual and rest in a dry cooler. Then I put the foiled meats into a vacuum bag and only pull a slight suction on it. Then it goes into a cooler with ice water for 30 or 40 minutes. Then I dry it and into the beer fridge.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    That is probably something I should pay more attention to.

When I cook soup, chili an such I am usually making about 16qts. We eat then let it cool on the stove somewhat, then in the fridge still warm. That has to put stress on the rest of the stuff in the fridge.

Thanks. GG
  • thirdeye
    Options
    You have a couple of options with soup or chili...I make mine in a Nesco roaster, which has more surface area. this alone helps it cool faster than a large stock pot. You can also portion it out into smaller containers, which will speed up cooling. The next option is to freeze some pint or quart bottles, like drinking water or Gatorade comes in, then after your stuff cools a bit, just set them into the chili.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I like the ice bottle idea that will help with the over heating of the fridge.

Last year during the holidays I egged some ham's. I took the bone and meat that stuck to the bone and put it in a stock pot. Tossed in a few pounds of split peas and some S&P. I didn't put any effort into the cook and really wasn't expecting much out of it.

That was the best split soup I have ever tasted. The egged ham bone was perfect combination.

I have yet to smoke some ham hocks like you posted a while back.

Kent