Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump and Hickory

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the best combination of Lump and hickory. Should I combined the two or use one or the other? If I combined them is it 50/50? I really like smoked chicken. What would be best for getting a good smoked Beer Butt Chicken? [p]From reading the post is seems that two - two and half hours at 300 degrees is good.[p]Thanks[p]Alan

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Alan Dratch,
    You only need a small amount of hickory to smoke things. You should be primarily using lump with the addition of a few chunks of hickory. You will find out how much as you use your egg. I love smoke, so specifically for chicken, I will put 1 or 2 big chunks of hickory or apple or pecan on the fire and the chicken comes out throughly smoked. [p]The beer can chickens I did were about 4 lbs and I did them at 325ish for 1.5 hours, cooked direct on a raised grid. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • bigarms
    bigarms Posts: 136
    Options
    Alan Dratch,[p]I agree with using only a couple of chunks of hickory. Load the firebox up, get it lit and going and add the chunks when you are ready to put the chicken on the fire. The BGE holds smoke better with the restrictive air flow, so you don't need to over use chuncks. Too much hickory will give the chicken a bitter taste. I close the dasiy wheel to almost closed and open up the bottom vent. I hope this helps.....bigarms
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Alan Dratch,[p]I agree with the other posts about the use of wood chunks for smoke. A little goes a LONG way in these ceramic cookers and 1 chunk or 2 is pleanty. Foul absorbs smoke much easier and faster than other meat like pork or beef so go easy. Also, the higher the cooking temps, the less smoke you get and over 350° you really start to lower the amount because the wood just bursts into flames. Many who like a lot of smoke taste start out with lower temps in the 250° range for a little while and then bump up the temps to finish and brown the meat better. Experiment a little to get the taste you like.[p]Tim
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Alan Dratch,
    Like the fellers below say, a chunk or three will give you all the smoke you need. I put the chunks straight into the fire, and let it smoke heavy for a half hour or so before I put the meat on. I like just a thin stream of blue smoke.[p]As the others have said, play a bit and see what you like. You don't need thick bellowing smoke for a thorough smoky flavor. The lump alone will impart plenty. Use chunks to adjust the flavor and intensity you desire.[p]Beers, and beer sphincter chicken to you!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ