Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to keep the cap/daisy wheel from falling off?

Options
Gwei-lo
Gwei-lo Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Since the ceramic cap and daisy wheel simply sit over the top vent with nothing really to hold them in place, do you folks normally do anything to prevent them from somehow falling off when the dome is opened? I've read that the spring assist hinge (which I'll be installing this week) enables the dome to open even further - wouldn't this place the cap/wheel at further risk of falling off? Thanks for any help :) Cheers![p]Gwei-lo

Comments

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Gwei-lo,
    You should not have any problems with either of them falling off. They stay just fine when the dome is opened.[p]~nikki

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Gwei-lo,
    Don't know about the spring hinge since I have the auto-lock hinge, but the ceramic cap and the daisy wheel will not fall off if they are set on top and you merely open the lid. I think the warnings I've seen about the ceramic cap falling off have meant that if you put the cap on at an angle to control the air flow, it will (of course) fall off if you open the lid. However, when sitting on top, I have never made it fall off.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,916
    Options
    Gwei-lo,
    not really, but you need to know the trick of lining up the point where the very top part of Miss Daisey is attached. TimM should be along anytime to post his diagram/pixs.

• Gwei-lo,
    Mine only falls off when I turn the egg upside down.

• Boccie
    Boccie Posts: 186
    Options
    Gwei-lo,[p]We have the spring assist hinge which opens farther than the others I believe. The daisey wheel and rain cap stay on just fine when fully open.[p]There isnt a concern unless you have either one not sitting properly on the stack.