Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

what do you pay for fresh oysters?

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,911
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just placed an order with the sole fish monger in our town and they are getting $15.50 a pound for select oysters. I know that's up from previous years, but what's a guy gonna do? :unsure:

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    My local suppler here in east central florida,just quoted $6/dozen or $25/1/2 bushel--that is usually 6-8 dozen depending on size. For Floridafest '07 took a bushel and it was only $22.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    a pound?

usually a buck each standing at the counter. s sometimes a quarter more or less. about a buck and a quarter sitting there at the counter eating them.

never see them by the pound (here). what kind are you getting?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • RRP
    Options
    anyway to relate what you just said to $ per pound? The clerk told me a pound is essentially a pint of oysters.
  • stike
    Options
    ask him how much each.

hahaha
    maybe he thinks you want them shucked?
  • RRP
    Options
    They are just calling them select, but I didn't ask from where they came from as I did ask one time about some fish and the deadpan reply was "from our wholesaler named Joe"! Oh well, I've been happy with them in the past...
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    about a week ago I paid 9.95 a pound for fresh sea scallops.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,810
    Options
    i dont see how you can even get a fresh oyster.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    Options
    oh these are shucked and ready to cook.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Local seafood raw bar is currently $9/99/doz on the half shell. Last year they were $.50 each same place. ouch!
  • RRP
    Options
    I don't know but could they mean freshly shucked? You just can't walk in and buy these - they have to be ordered in advance and tell them the day you'll be picking them up including AM or PM.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    The type of oyster makes all the difference in the world.

They can be Canadian of New England Atlantic, Apalachicola oysters from the gulf, or many varieties from the Pacific Northwest. They all have unique taste profiles and vary greatly in size - and therefore by the number of oysters per pound.

Your question is really akin to asking how much should I pay for a pound of beef. You need to know what kind of oyster more than "select".
  • RRP
    Options
    I just called and asked. All they could me was they are caught and packaged in Virginia. Sooooo, what you all think now?
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    my brother in law is a seafood broker. i pay about $30 a gallon for fresh shucked oysters.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,810
    Options
    im a little picky when eating any type of clam, i dont think i could eat those unless they are cooked. even at a raw bar in boston ill ask, then sample the ones that are freshest before deciding which im going to eat and if one is just slightly off in flavor im done.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Midnight Smoker
    Options
    I pay $20 a bushel for clusters.....harvested that day from Bulls Bay. They are plump and salty! Bringing 6 bushels up to Boston for Thanksgiving at my Uncles house.....
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Those would be Chsapeake Bay oysters. -RP
  • stike
    Options
    most important thing is 'fresh'. canned are ok for some recipes. and since you aren't eating these raw, you will be way ahead of canned simply because they are fresh. ...assuming the are shipped on ice, etc.

i would have no reason to be skittish if i were you.

sure, sitting around the raw bar we can debate damariscotta versus PEI etc., but as an ingredient, i think you'll be happy
  • stike
    Options
    and. ahhh

where is your uncle's house?
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    In Tampa they are .49 cents each - shuck em yourself!
    Are you making Rockefeller sauce?? I can give you the exact recipe.

CIMG2092.jpg
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    last Oysters I bought cost me $250.00 for two dozen.

But it was a hell of a diving trip :woohoo:
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    $20/100 count select in shell here.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    sure, sitting around the raw bar we can debate damariscotta versus PEI

You just let me know when.
  • Midnight Smoker
    Options
    Those would be Chsapeake Bay oysters. -RP
    Oro Valley
    Arizona

No....not Chesapeake Bay....Bulls Bay, South Carolina...6 miles from my house.
  • BostonEggSox
    Options
    Some of the best oysters you can eat are here in Mass out on Cape Cod in Wellfleet. They are farmed right in Wellfleet Harbor and running about a $1.00 each right now. The Oyster Festival in October is world renowned, but usually falls around the same time as Eggfest.

http://www.wellfleetoysterfest.org/

http://wellfleetoysterandclam.com/Welcome.html

You gotta love a perfect Gin Martini (or 2) and a half dozen Oysters :woohoo:
  • RRP
    Options
    excuse my naivety, but when you eat raw oysters do you chew them? If not where's the taste satisfaction come from? Otherwise wouldn't just swallowing them be akin to downing a big glob of snot! Guess as a landlubber I don't get it.
  • stike
    Options
    half dozen is a warm up, my friend!

check out Neptune Oyster in the north end. sometimes nearly two dozen different oysters on the menu at any one time
  • Susan Egglaine
    Options
    DeepSouth: Who does your brother-in law work for?
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Bought some a couple weeks ago - shucked. $20 for a half gallon. They were shucked the day before. I can get them by the half sack or by the sack but haven't bought them that way for a while.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Some people!!! :woohoo:

I once had a friend ask me if they were still alive as I sucked on down. I was at the Union Oyster House sitting at the bar. I calmly looked at her and said "Not any more". Picked up another one and sucked it down. The shucker laughed his ass off and said "Best answer I ever heard"

You can chew if you want or just swallow if you want. The flavor lingers on your tongue. Best tasting snot I ever had next to clam snot that is..
  • stike
    Options
    they have tasting notes for the oysters. i laughed at first... "creamy, slight banana and citrus notes... etc. etc." what the hell are these tools trying to do to justify the cost of these damn things (not cheap)....

they were actually spot on. was like a wine tasting.

a little neighborhood place up here where my wife and i used to go all the time usually had at least two west coast, and about four or five east coast, but they lately now only have two or three kinds. but this newer place in boston
    had them from all over the last time i was in. beautify ruffled shells from the pacific coast, tiny ones, huge ones.

http://www.neptuneoyster.com/

if you ever stop in beantown on business, we should go.

and then there's this other place (the Union Oyster House) which was daniel webster's favorite spot. gotta go there for an obligatory few. rest of the food is tourist stuff...