Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Medium egg butts

Options
cobrastrike
cobrastrike Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anybody ever cooked 3 boston butts on a medium egg before? I've got 3 that are approximately 6 lbs each and was wondering if I will run into any problems trying to fit them all on at once.

Comments

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    go put them on in their wrapper(s) & see if they fit
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,911
    Options
    good idea, but my gut feeling is he'll have to stack and be sure to remove that darn spring metal clip on the dome thermometer so he can pull the thermometer out before closing so as to not bend the stem or impale the top butt.
  • cobrastrike
    Options
    they look as though they'll fit on their side. I hear a lot of people saying to cook fat side up. Will this have any effect if I cook them on their sides? Also (probably a pretty dumb question)- will they cook evenly? I've only cooked one since owning my egg.
    Thanks!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,567
    Options
    i would trim off the fat. you can cook them on their side or even stand them on their end. on a lo-n-slo i would think temp is fairly even around the meat. you can connect the top of the three butts with three skewer sticks, kind of like a triangle, to prevent them from falling over. just my 2 cents.
    canuckland
  • Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Options
    I've cooked pairs of butts on their sides on my Medium several times and they come out as good as fat side up or down. Never tried three, as the ones I can get are usually 8-9 lbs. each and fit nicely in pairs.