Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Major Dilema - Hearthside Distributors

Options
Duck
Duck Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got married -- Groomsmen went in on what they thought was an egg from Hearthside. Turns out they accidentally ordered a Primo Grill/Smoker and destroyed the crate it was delivered in prior to noticing. The website is HIGHLY confusing, they clicked on the BGE logo and were brought to a page where the first thing was the Primo in a nest (looked close to an egg to the inexperienced eye.) While I am grateful for the gift, I really want an egg and have already built a table in anticipation.

Called Hearthside, very little help. I even offered to drive the thing to TN and no go. So, my question is should I attempt to sell the Primo on craigslist? Do any of you know of other online market places or places in the Houston area where I could possibly sell this grill. Another thought is to call local primo distributors and see if they are interested although I doubt I could get much from them, if any.

Your thoughts and help is greatly appreciated. I am fairly stressed about this situation and just want to get my egg asap.

Sorry for the long first post.

Comments

• AzScott
    AzScott Posts: 309
    Options
    I'd try to find a local dealer that carries both and see if you can make a trade with them. With that trade, I would inform him that you'll be buying ceramics, charcoal, etc. with the trade so there is something in it for him if you want those items.
  • Rib Fan
    Rib Fan Posts: 305
    Options
    I would think that a distributor might take it...although at what they normally aquire them for. There is a fairly high mark-up on these types of products so be prepared to drop your pants so to speak. Probably best to sell through Craigs list to maximize what you can get for it. Problem with this is that you might have unit longer than anticipated.
    You might go back to distributor and explain situation regarding the obvious confusion. It is wrong to "click" on one product and the site leads you to a "similar" one. Kind of like the old "bait and switch". Maybe threaten that you will bring this type of misleading practise up with the Better Business Bureau. Not sure if this will help.
    Good luck and pls let us know the outcome.
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    What a GREAT GIFT :laugh:

My preference is a BGE. The company, the forum, the culture (you cannot have a culture with out a cult) are unmatched. If you cannot get any resolution, I think you will find the Primo is a fine cooker ... (and you will still be welcome here on the forum).

I have heard stories of the shell cracking (not hairline mind you but CRACKING). If your dealer stands behind the product, you should be made whole (as long as you didn't drop it of anything). Your dealer is one of the most important in affecting your satisfaction (I don't know much about Hearthside Distributors)!!

While there are some product differences, in my opinion the biggest improvement the BGE people made to a great product has been customer service. They are second to none and I will gladly do business with them!!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    wow. if i were BGE, i'd be a little p!ssed at the way that website is set up.

under the BGE banner, they list the primo, with a link to why primo is "better" (some dubious claims in there, too). that comparison isn't new, but it is a bit odd to sell the Primo under the BGE banner, no?

...and that's aside from the whole BGE corporate policy re: "no internet sales".

unfortunately, i think you are stuckk with a brand new primo (not that it is bad). if you are hellbent for a BGE, ithink your only alternative is to sell it. that is, after exhausting the conversation with hearthside.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    First off, that is a cool gesture and a nice present. Which model Primo is it?

I believe that online sales of BGE's do not come with the warranty you get when buying from a dealer, I don't know if this is true for Primo's....So I'm thinking that first you need to check on that.

Both of them are very respectable cookers and I know several folks with both kinds, which leads to the next thing to consider....many people wind up with more than one. So, you might be better off keeping what you have now and when you get your next one you can decide which way to go.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    After you check your options...

Enjoy your new ceramic grill. It was given to you by some great friends. No need to tell them it is the wrong one.

If your table can't be adapted for the Primo then figure out a temporary plate over the hold and use the table as a work station until you get another egg.

I only have eggs but I would think you cooks are going to be just as good and the methods of cooking will be much the same.

Enjoy and invite all those nice folk over for some good eats.

GG
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    And they say they honor all BGE warranty issues. You woould think if you are willing to drive their to return it and "buy" the LBGE along with some accessories they would be willing to do something...

I would think they would offer to swap it out at least along with a "restocking" fee.....
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    hearthside will warranty the firebox and then charge you 125 dollars to ship it out to you. not the best in customer service. if primo honors the warranty at all dealers for primos sold thru hearthside then the primo may be the better deal, i would ask on the primo site if the dealers will warrantee grills sold online.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    Options
    i would think the primo dimensions would be about the same (for the large round). they copied everything else, why not the dimensions?
  • Duck
    Options
    I agree that it is a great gesture and I wouldn't have said a word to them, but they were under the impression they ordered an Egg. It isn't like they picked this out for me.

I honestly feel sick about the situation.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I think the shell cracking on Primos was only on the oval. It is supposed to be fixed with the ceramic plate insert they produced to resolve the issue.
    The Naked Whiz
  • thepgaboy
    Options
    I agree with this approach...the guys at Harth and Patio here in Knoxville I know would work with you...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Out of curiosity I went to their site and when i clicked on the BGE banner, the first thing that comes up is this:
    media.jpg
    That's a Primo.
    Now if I had sent my mother to Hearthside to buy me an Egg, she would've bought the Primo too.
    If I didn't know as much as I do I would think that "Primo" was a type of BGE.

Yet another example of a seller using the BGE to get you in their door and then trying to sell you something else.

I wouldn't threaten anything, but I would go right to the TN BBB. tell them your problem and see if they can help.
  • Duck
    Options
    This is exactly what happened. It is highly confusing and the two items appear VERY similar to someone who isn't a fanatic.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    So in that case (if you did buy an "internet Egg")and had a firebox crack... it would be better to buy a replacement firebox from your local dealer, then save the receipt in case it happens again as that firebox would be covered by warranty.....right?
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Hearthside is one of the many reasons BGE has it's internet policy. While they still list the BGE on there website they don't sell them any longer.

The mis-leading propaganda comes from Primo's website.

As ceramic cookers go they are good. If you are dead set against it I suggest you sell it on Craigslist or go post the sale on Primo's Forum.

However, I am not sure I'd let my friends know you are so quick to get rid of a present.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    thats where it gets fuzzy i think, you still dont have an origional waranteed egg and thats how its based i believe
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    That is a very interesting point.
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    "Fanatic", hey I resemble that remark!!!
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    I would keep it and cook with it. It will impress your friends. I have my large BGE in a Primo frame and wings. I prefer it. It is stronger. Then when you have the money pick up a small and or a mini. Collect them all. Its FUN. Happy "Qing"
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Wow, I had to take a few double takes. That does look like a BGE. Is the mothership aware of this? This could have some serious legal ramifications it pushed by the lawyers. Where is Zippy when ya need him?
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Duck
    Options
    This is some shady business practices. We are circling the wagons and going to make one more call to Hearthside. At this point we are NOT going for an exchange rather a refund or nothing. If this fails, we are going to report them to BGE (I am sure they already know), BBB in TN, and talk to American Express about disputing the charges or see how they can help.

Amex is usually wonderful about this type of stuff.
  • stike
    Options
    oh yeah. they know. some dude broke off from BGE and started pumping those things out. the oval is a different thing altogether, but the round ones are knock-offs, in a word. sure, the design is ancient, and asian, but the look, and the way it is fabricated is (or should have been) trademarked.

the dimpled surface, the vent, the way the guts are configured, etc.

it's a direct result of the developments of BGE over the years
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    I don't know if he can help you or not but John Henry is here in Houston on I-45 North. He is one heck of a guy. While he does not post on the Forum, he is an egghead at heart. He sells both Primo and BGE. He may be able to help you out. It's worth a try. Good luck.

Spring Hen
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    So, do we need to find this sucker and off him? The guy from Primo not Mr Duck!
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    If you are in Houston, throw it up on the Dallas, Houston, San Antonio and Austin Craigs list. You'll sell it. T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • AzScott
    Options
    Seeing as how it was bought with an AMEX you may want to put them on it. Hearthside showed one thing and delivered another and that's just not right. The Better Business Bureau is another avenue. Between Amex on them and the BBB they should conclude it's not worth the trouble and let you return it.
  • AzScott
    Options
    http://www.hearthsidedistributors.com/Catalog/Big-Green-Egg-Smokers?whence=&site=ACCT86477&mode=items

That's just not right. Clicking on BGE brings up this page. Primo's listed under the BGE label and one would need to be really paying attention to realize they just clicked a large Primo rather than a BGE.
  • Duck
    Options
    and when you click on the top grill (which is the primo) the only thing listed is "779" which could easily be misunderstood as a model #.

Still waiting on a callback from Hearthside...

Thanks to everyone for the help. I will attempt to keep everyone updated on the status.
  • Duck
    Options
    And the plot thickens....

The more I get into this the angrier I am getting with Hearthside.

The title of the website that the grill was purchased is "Big Green Egg Smokers"

The Description in the Shopping Cart is "779" "Round - Large Size - Fully Assembled 280sq/in cooking Black". Interesting omission of Primo.

The menu on the left of the website lists "Outdoor Gas Grills & Smokers" if you click this item, it expands. The first expanded item is "Big Green Egg Smokers". Click that and it shows the Primo models first then BGE. Surprise, the BGE models aren't listed on the page for Primo Smokers.