Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I cooked some'en: Drum sticks in the dark

Options
JLOCKHART29
JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First things first. In my never ending search for "unemployment beer" I sampled Miller last night when I worked off and Bush tonight. Can't really call Miller Unemployment beer at a little over 5 bucks a six but a desent brew. Smooth with out cheap beer bite. If I could find on sale a one to remember. The Bush was just like I remember from a teenager. Still got that skunk beer taste. Don't see it making the finnal cut.
09-22-09173-1.jpg

09-22-09184.jpg

Now to the cook. Got the teeth cleaned and x rayed this afternoon so running short of time. Droped by the local supermarket in the not so good part of town. They carry my Ozark Oak lump and sell meat cheap in bulk amounts. While picking up a tray of drum sticks got to watch the butcher chase a shoplifter around store with two packs of ribeyes then watch three cruisers closing down the parking lot with a car pulled over in it. Time for me to go! B) Rubed mine down with a little DP Swamp Venum, garlic pepper and death pepper peprika. Wife can't take the spice so tossed alittle Tonys on her's and store BBQ sause at the end. Direct at 300 with a chunk of presimmon wood, some smoked cabbage from night b4 last, bread rubbed with fresh garlic and EVOO and sweet potatos coated with EVOO and italin bred crumbs.
09-22-09186.jpg

09-22-09187.jpg

Sunset last night was wonderful unlike tonight!lol
09-22-09175.jpg

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    The food looks great! The legs look juicy and plump! Great job! What was the seasoning you used for your wifes? Not something I've heard of before...is it a local ingredient? Great lookin' food! And love your property!

Good cookin'!
    Michelle
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Food looks awesome. A good low cost beer I drank for years was Keystone. It's made by Coors. It didn't have the skunk taste. I hope you get to kill some extra drakes this year, with the additional time.
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Tony's is a coon #$$ seasioning we use down hear. Pretty much use it instead of salt. Its not a rub but a combo of seasonings and salt but adds depth to food w/o a lot of heat. http://www.foodlocker.com/brands-t-tony-chachere-s.html
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    They "say" we will be called back middle of Jan. to 1st Feb. Leaving a lot of bad stuff in the unit so really think they will start back up else they would have us handle the situation before we leave. They added another squeller to out bag this year (3). Reather eat a squeller any day than a mallard. Can see a lot of gumbo in the future!!
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    If there's anything I can do to help yall through this tight time, let me know!
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    nice food... the sweet potatoes look great, i've been using a lot of them lately... never new they were so good. only sweet potato i ever had growing up had marshmallows on it... just could not warm up to marshmallows on the plate with turkey gravy getting on them,,,
    JL? why is the cat in the cage??
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    30 pack of MHL cans $13, 43 cents per beer, almost as cheap beer out of a keg, pour it in a tall pilsner glass & the "I never drink out of a can" crowd cannot tell the difference
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Central IL Egger
    Options
    That's what I was just thinking . . . that must be one MEAN kitty.
    Also, for your sweet potatoes, is there much prep involved?
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Thanks Big'un! Really taking it in stride right now and making a joke of it.(If its funny it don't worry you much right? ;) ) My finances are great and everythings payed for cept wife 08 Pathfinder and could pay it off tomorrow w/o blinking. Company is paying ALL insurance on medical till we go back which is worth about 850 a month if I had to do COBRA. Just want be taking those out of town rides as much and eating alittle cheaper food. Dad duck hunts everyday of season except Sun. so doesn't cost me any thing to speak of to chase them ducks! ;)
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    That's Andy and he will die to eat. If allowed to run loose he will go to neighbor across road and eat there cat food. Problem is he then leaves there and goes to there neighbor snooping. This neighbor shoots cats. I know cause pulled a .22 slug out of his shoulder. X RAY showed it was shattered in 10 0r more pieces. Healed up with bairly a limp. Every morning we open the door and he walks about 50 feet to his pen and every evening we let him out of his pen and he walks back to the house. Just a little dog! :P
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    The sweetpotatoes are simple. Peel and slice in wedges, toss in EVOO with a little garlic pepper then roll in Seasson bread crumbs. Cook at 400 till soft. Sprinkle with a little fresh grated parmashion cheese and thats it. As far as the cat see my reply to bill! ;)
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Zip, Got your email. Have not seen it in cans hear except 6 pack but will do some looking. I like a dark beer but for American light I agree.
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    I feel your pain. I was also "laid off" about a month ago and don't see going back anytime soon. First time in my 30+ years of working that I am taking unemployment.

You cook looks wonderful as always! As for unemployment beer, we buy Michelob at Costco for $17.95 for 24 bottles. Bud is cheaper but we can't stand the stuff.

Best of luck.
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    Your cat looks like one of ours. Two brothers we adopted as stray kittens. Both black and white and beautiful.